Need to extended wireless range - Fios / Actiontec M1424WR

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by deuce10, Jul 31, 2010.

1. deuce10

deuce10 Private E-2

I just had Verizon Fios installed in my house. The wireless range only covers about half of my house. I'm looking for a solution to extend the wireless range. Can I go purchase a Linksys wireless router, run a Cat5 cable from the back of the Actiontec router and connect it to the new Linksys router on the other end of the house? Currently, I have a Cat5 cable that feeds the Actiontec router from the Dmark (where the Fios equipment is maintained). Also, I have 2 computers that currently are wired directly in the Actiontec router. If it works to add a Linksys router, would model would you recommend? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

You could do what you suggested as long as you create 2 different networks on different wireless channels. Please note that wireless channels next to each other interfere with each other. Therefore you need to use wireless channels that are as far apart from each other as possible. In the US these would be channels 1 and 11. You also need to use different SSIDs and you would need to reconnect each time you move to the other end of the house.

An alternative is to purchase a standalone product called a wireless repeater, that, as the name suggests, repeats the wireless signals. This leads to all your wireless traffic going to the one router/access point, but it means you don't have to deal with reconnection and SSIDs and everything.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds