No Digital or Analog Video Signal

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Infacia, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Infacia

Infacia Private E-2

Hello

I cannot get a signal through either vga or dvi through to my monitor. I have set the mobo up outside of the case and I get the same results. I have tried some different RAM.

The vitals -
    Cpu - E2180
    Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-G31MS2L
    Optical drives - Asus DVD
    Hard Drive - WD 500G
    Power Supply - Corsair HX620W
    RAM - Kingston 2gb
    Video Card - HD4850 1G sonic
    Sound Card Audigy 2zs
    Monitor - Dell 2209WA

Faulty mobo? Faulty CPU? Any suggestion on troubleshooting?
    Thank you

2. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Hi,
    Have you tried a different monitor?? changed leads??tried your GPU in a different machine?? all of these things will helpp in ruling out.

iain.t :major

3. magical2099

magical2099 Private First Class

is the GPU getting power? Fans spin, some have LEDs, is it seated properly? Does the Mobo post? Does it give you a beep code error? Does the Mobo have onboard graphics you can use until you install drivers for GPU?

4. Infacia

Infacia Private E-2

I have tried post testing and get the same response. The monitor turns on and says entering power saving mode. There is a toggle button which selects through auto,digital and analog, this button works but both give the same response. I have tried removing the gpu and tried just the onboard mobo vga graphics with the same results.
    I have tried just mobo, psu, no ram and get continuous long beeps.
    I have tried different leads. Haven't been able to try different monitors or mobo.

5. magical2099

magical2099 Private First Class

if the mobo gives long beeps its at least making it that far into the POST test. I would bank on the monitor being bad. hunt one down and try it first, but thats where my money is. if you can't find another monitor to test with, find another PC to plug yours into. may wanna do both anyway.

edit: how many sticks of RAMM do you have? if more than one, did you try one by itself?

6. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

DITTO!!!!
    I also believe this to be a faulty monitor

7. Infacia

Infacia Private E-2

I tried a Thermaltake xp550 np 430w with the same results.

I managed to get hold of a working benq monitor and I get the same results with both onboard graphics and graphics card.

So it's looking like the mobo?

Thanks for the help guys :major

8. scajjr

scajjr Sergeant

Do you have speakers connected to the sound card? If so do you hear the Windows startup sounds even with no picture on the screen? If so then the mobo/hard drive is OK. If it doesn't boot into your operating system then you may have a motherboard problem.

Sam

9. Infacia

Infacia Private E-2

I didn't get any sound through the speakers. I bought a new mobo and heat transfer compound. When you change the CPU should you wipe the old thermal grease off? Any other tips? Thanks people.

10. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Hi,
    YES YOU MUST CLEAN THE OLD PASTE OFF!!! also wear surgical gloves to stop oil residue from your fingers coming in contact with either the heatsink or CPU, here is a vid from youtube on how to prep....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrHlmYjsstM

11. Infacia

Infacia Private E-2

Ok I purchased a ga g41 combo board and transferred my cpu over. I now get a signal :-D
    However, I now have a new set of problems. My mouse won't work. I get a curser on the screen but the mouse won't move. I have made sure it's plugged in properley. This means I cant load the motherboard CD. I can't seem to get a proper conection to my brand new modem either. To add to this at first I couldn't get into the BIOS screen. After a few goes I did, but the keyboard doesn't respond on the bios screen, no number or caps lock etc. However the keboard works fine in windows etc.
    Unfortunetely I lost my XP cd in the recent floods otherwise I probably would have tried installing it again.
    I am going to purchase a USB mouse and try that.
    Is this a windows problem?
    Thanks guys.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds