Windows Genuine problem w/ Vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by hopperdave2000, Jun 30, 2007.

1. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

A neighbor recently had a hard drive crash in her Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop and Dell shipped her a new one under warranty. The new HD was blank, but she had all the factory CD's so she had me install the HD and software. This was just under 2 months ago. Everything was fine. Yesterday she got a message saying that her copy of Vista was not Genuine, and that the product key was invalid. She spent much time with Dell 'tech support' on the phone and they said she had to completely reload from the restore CD's. Not wanting to do this, she gave the laptop to me. Upon booting, Vista Home Basic reports that the product is invalid and could not be activated, so I entered the key from the sticker on the bottom of the PC. Still, Vista says it's not valid. So I called Microsoft, and using the Installation ID (9 groups of 6 numbers each) I was able to at least activate and get to the desktop. But Vista is still reporting that it's not a genuine copy, even though it was installed from the factory CD's from Dell. And the fact that this just started a couple of days ago is bizarre.... any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated!

hd2k

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

3. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

No its different tech in WGA to Vista... you could try but I doubt it will work.

I would be calling Dell again as its their issue as its a OEM key of theirs issued to that PC, only thing I can think of at present that would cause that is wromg version installed and activated, is it really Home basic installed? and matches the Key, or is Key for Home Premium or Home Premium the installed version?

5. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

6. DavidGP

Yes it could help Steve, especially once you loaded the two activeX addons to finish the scan, initally it said my office and windows coudnt be validated, then once the AXs were installed all went well.

[​IMG]

If you fail I would imagine as the rest of advantage works that it will give you steps to follow.

7. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Both the product key (on the bottom of the laptop) and the factory Dell re-install CD's are labeled 'Windows Vista Home Basic' but the sticker has 'OEMAct' tacked onto the end of 'Basic'. I'll try the validation link provided above and I'll let ya'll know what happens.... Thanx!

hd2k

UPDATE: I used the validation diagnostic link posted above by Matacumbie and IT WORKED! After passing validation and reporting that Vista was, indeed, genuine, I was still left with a message just above the clock that said "This copy of Windows is not genuine". So, I rebooted, and now the message is gone, updates are working, and all is well :D THANX!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2007
  8. DavidGP

Good call Steve and glad all is well hopperdave

9. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Good deal fella's. :)

I figured my man Halo would know. ;)

Steve

10. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Glad to see Steve's diagnostic site download worked, Hopperdave2k - good here en'it.
    Steve, Halo, Your link, and Halo's info -great- I have noted that one for future use - I have no doubt it will be useful -One change and Vista kicks up - I will also try the other one at some time, but as the active X add-ons seem to be needed, I will have to wait until one there is a problem with one of my installs, or someone comes to me with it.

11. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Just a little info on the subject:

Steve

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds