Urgent problem w/Major Geeks recommended software by Auslogics

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by KGHN, Jan 25, 2014.

1. KGHN

KGHN Private E-2

Sorry for double post - I posted in Software first and tried to contact, but I don't have enough regular posts yet to be allowed to PM. I'm trying to report this ASAP.

I have been using and enjoying Auslogics Registry Cleaner for several months. I picked up the new version 3.4.2.0 from Major Geeks a couple of days ago. When I tried to install it today, the installer tried to force Conduit software, which I believe to be malware or at least unwanted, onto my XP machine. It had several choices for Conduit installation, none of which were to not install it. The user agreement has a new section, too, that seems to relate to the new *heh* feature. I used Windows Task Manager to force the installer down after Registry Cleaner was installed, and before Conduit was installed. I am aghast. Major Geeks, please check into this. This is the first time I found Major Geeks' software library to be untrustworthy.

2. Palebushman

Palebushman Private E-2

Hi KGHN,
    The Corporal and Major are very guys, for an explanation of their activities you may find it worth your while taking a peek at this link:-
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/content/page/aboutcontact_us.html

As for the solution to your software problem, it will be interesting to see how it can be resolved.

3. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

I'll be as nice as I can here, but I am really bad at it so bear with me. It's hard to politely say "you're wrong" :(

After it installs, the last thing it does is offer something Conduit with an opt-out. You missed it. I just downloaded and installed it in a safe environment with 4.3.2.0 to test for you and there it was. See attached photo.

I want to make sure you don't make these two mistakes again, the first possibly is understanding registry cleaners and what they really do or don't:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/news/story/the_best_drive_cleaners_and_registry_cleaners.html

How to spot these third party programs:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/news/story/third_party_programs_and_toolbars_what_you_need_to_know.html

Attached Files:

4. KGHN

KGHN Private E-2

Thank you, both of you, and also the kind person who correctly pointed out the solution in my original thread:
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=283304
    I did miss the small print about leaving all boxes unchecked. Mea culpa. The extra info about contact and registry cleaners is welcome and useful.

Major Geeks is an awesome resource, and a great place to post solutions that are hard to find elsewhere. As a "community go-to" person for computer trouble here in rural central Montana, I have no local buddies to share support knowledge with. I hope to be an asset to the Geek Army, as well as benefiting from it.

5. ChristineBCW

ChristineBCW Corporal

On many software installs, there is a CUSTOM option and I always select it (unless I know THAT version of THAT product) to see what features are being installed.

On so many freebie packages, they want to install other products. These 'add on's" usually pay the freebie developer for this chance to ride on their coat-tails. I can't blame them for earning money, and I appreciate the ones that give me an Opt-Out option.

Some products (ahem, Nero) don't allow an opt-out, and I'm forced to install nuisance software which I then do an Uninstall. Fortunately, Nero's requirement to install the ASK toolbar has - thus far - also allowed ASK's uninstall. Whew.

But with every version of software, I'm seeing more and more tag-alongs. The CUSTOM install gives me as much flexibility as the developers want - once they 'get bad', my option is to not proceed at all.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds