DVR-106d will only read one disc per reboot.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Theoretician, May 28, 2005.

1. Theoretician

Theoretician Private E-2

Got a bit of a problem, been confounding me for a month or two now as I've tried different solutions. My CD/DVD drive, a DVR-106D as noted above, will only read one disc per boot session. As in, I reboot, put a disc in the drive, and it works fine, but if i take that first disc out and put another in, I get nothing. The drive icon under "my computer" changes to "CD Drive" instead of the normal "DVD-R drive" or some such. Trying to explore the disc yields no information, the "my computer" window says the disc is 88.6 megs in size, with that much space available, even with no disc in the drive. Putting the original disc back in yields no change, it won't read. Have to reboot the system for it to recognise a disc in the drive, and as such, I can no longer install anything that is on more than one disk. Tried uninstalling the drive from the device manager and letting it reinstall, updating the firmware, rolling back the firmware, updating/rolling back the OS driver, the connections look fine in back. Haven't tried reinstalling windows, though thats my next step if you guys can't think of anything. I'd like to avoid a reformat, even if the comp could use one anyway. The drive isn't too old, maybe 3 years or so, but I know thats the normal lifetime of most electronic devices before bugs and kinks start showing themselves, so should the drive be considered dead?
    Can;t say for sure, but this might have started when I installed a new video card, a 6600GT replaced a rad9500. I've always used no-cd cracks to save wear and tear on the drive, so it's hard to get a solid date on when this started happening. Thought that the video card might be sucking too much power from the PS, but seems odd if a 430watter would be stressed in an otherwise easy going system. Can't remember if the vid and DVD are on the same line to the PS, don't really want to dig around in that rat's nest if I don't have to either, heh. Only error in the device manager is from a USB adapter I never got around to installing right, everything reads as perfectly normal.

Computer is custom, built it myself, so any specs you need will be happily provided.
    Abit IS7 MB
    Antec Truepower 430w
    MSI 6600GT

Windows XP Pro SP1
    Dx 9.0c
    DVR-106d firmware is latest as of mid march, I forget the v number
    Windows driver is 5.1.2535.0

Thanks for the help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds