Easy way to update link path Word 2003

Discussion in 'Software' started by pelted, May 8, 2007.

1. pelted

pelted Private E-2

I have a large folder of word documents, each containing a table linked to the same master excel spreadsheet. I need to move the files to another computer, however this will damage the links because the paths will be different.

Any suggestions on how to edit the links automatically, via a macro or some such method?

Altrnatively, is there a way to use a relative path when linking the excel file to the word docs? I tried a bunch of ways but couldn't find one.

Thanks

2. pelted

pelted Private E-2

3. pelted

pelted Private E-2

Ok, I figure the easiest way is to add a link field with a relative path (if that's possible). However I can't get the relative path syntax right. What works (with an absolute path) is:

{ LINK Excel.Sheet.8 "C:\\Air Rates\\Rates.xls" \a \f 4 \h }

However, when I change the path to make it relative, it won't work. The error message is "Error! Not a valid link". What I want to do is store the spreadsheet "Rates.xls" in the directory above the files into which I want to insert the link field.

{LINK Excel.Sheet.8 "\\Air Rates\\Rates.xls" \a \f 4 \h }

I am not all that familiar with relative path syntax, but maybe you just can't insert a relative path into a Word 2003 link field.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

4. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Why not just create folders as needed on the target computer that equal the folders on the source computer, and then move the Word and Excel files into the folders corresponding to the ones on the source computer? That way, the links will still work.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds