DVD+RW Disc drive won't read DVD's

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jkman, May 31, 2011.

1. jkman

jkman Private E-2

Hi. My disk drive won't read DVD's. I bought a new game today that was a DVD, went to install and the disc drive wouldn't recognize it. I thought maybe it was just the disc so I tried 2 movie DVDs. It still wouldn't recognize. It can read CD's and such. Drivers are up to date as far as I can tell. I was talking to someone online and they said it's either a jumper issue or something about the setting of slave or primary. I didn't understand it much. Thank you!

The drive is a NEC DVD +RW ND-1100A
    Running Windows 7 64bit

2. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

Unfortunately for you, that drive is about 8 years old. Maybe you should look at getting a newer one.

3. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

4. ouranos

ouranos Private E-2

There is 2 diferent laser. One for cd and one for dvd.
    If you can see cd but not able to see dvd then the laser for the dvd has died.
    Dvd-rw are not device made to last for ever :-(

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds