CPU Overheating

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KegMan51, Apr 19, 2005.

1. KegMan51

KegMan51 Private E-2

I have a sony vaio running windows xp home.... my computer recently just started shutting off automatically after 20 mins of running. WHen the computer boots up it says problem with power and to go into power setup. From there when i look at the temps of my power setup my CPU temp is in red usually around a temp of (89 degrees C). I dont feel any air coming out of the back of my computer. Is this due to my fan possibly stopping... or something else. Any help would be appreciated...

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

If I were you I wouldn't turn it on again,I think you have solved your own problem here you prob need a new fan somewhere.

3. KegMan51

KegMan51 Private E-2

Ive never installed a fan before is there a specific kind i need to get... my computer is a sony vaio MODEL NUMBER: PCV-RX755(UC)

4. Rikky

No warranty on it?

5. KegMan51

KegMan51 Private E-2

Computer is about 3 years old... no warranty anymore i believe

6. Rikky

What youll have to do is open it up turn it on and check which fan isnt spinning,if you press the key get into bios that should keeps temps down and hopefully wont do any damage,you will need a pretty much exact fan for the cpu but any that fits if its a system fan check sony to find a replacement part.

http://eservice.sony.com/webrma/web/index.do

:)

7. KegMan51

KegMan51 Private E-2

both my cpu fan and power fan are running... would there be another reason for the temp to increase... ive only noticed the computer shutting off when im playing Counter Strike

8. Olley

Olley Sergeant

are you sure the cpu fan is running at its optimum speed? it sounds like your cpu cooling is failing somehow. maybe you should reseat the heatsink

9. KegMan51

KegMan51 Private E-2

Not quite sure what reseat the heat sink means.... ive never messed with a cpu fan before... i could tell u the speed its running at when the computer starts if that would help

10. Olley

Olley Sergeant

it means to take off the heatsink and fan, clean off the residual thermal paste (if there is any) and place it back on the cpu with new thermal paste. this should ensure thermal conductivity.
    and at how many rpm is ur cpu fan running?

11. Rikky

Before you start takin stuff apart download sandra from the download section here at MG boot into win and see if it corroberates what the bios says,or if you can leave the cover off when its turned on let it run in the bios untill it gets up to temp then touch the heatsink,if its at 89 it will burn your finger give it 20mins to warm up,if no burney install sandra and check the system summary.

12. KegMan51

KegMan51 Private E-2

The CPU Fan Speed is running from 3835 RPM To 4017 RPM. The weird thing is, is that the computer has not shutoff when im just browsing the internet or doing other things. It only shuts off when im play counterstrike for 20-30mins because the cpu temp goes up to the high 80's. Ive had the computer on for 4 hours now and its cpu temp is fine(I havent played CounterStrike today)

13. Olley

Olley Sergeant

is it possible for u to check your gpu temps? they might also be an issue, heating up the cpu indirectly
    cause the rpms sound fine to me

14. KegMan51

KegMan51 Private E-2

not sure what the gpu is or how to check the temp or rate

15. Olley

Olley Sergeant

its the graphics card core, dont know how to check those temps on a notebook tho

16. KegMan51

KegMan51 Private E-2

Yeah im thinking its something with my graphics card since it only overheats when im playing a game, does anybody have any ideas on what to do???

17. Olley

Olley Sergeant

try playing ur game with lower settings.... so that it doesnt overheat

18. Rikky

Could you post all of specs of your computer,if you type the model number in on sonys site it should give you all the specs or download sandra and find them in the system summary,also when was the last time you updates the video card driver?

19. KegMan51

KegMan51 Private E-2

I haven't updated my drivers for the video card in a year.

SiSoftware Sandra

System
    Processor
    Model : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.00GHz
    Speed : 2.02GHz
    Performance Rating : PR2220 (estimated)
    Type : Standard
    L2 On-board Cache : 512kB ECC Synchronous, ATC, 8-way set, 64 byte line size, 2 lines per sector

Mainboard
    Bus(es) : AGP PCI USB FireWire/1394
    MP Support : No
    MP APIC : No
    System BIOS : Award Software, Inc. BIOS Revision 1003
    System : Sony Corporation PCV-RX755(UC)
    Mainboard : ASUSTeK Computer INC. P4S266VX
    Total Memory : 512MB DDR-SDRAM

Chipset 1
    Model : ASUSTeK Computer Inc SiS650 CPU to PCI Bridge
    Front Side Bus Speed : 4x 101MHz (404MHz data rate)
    Total Memory : 512MB DDR-SDRAM

Video System
    Monitor/Panel : SONY CPD-G220R
    Adapter : NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

Physical Storage Devices
    Removable Drive : Floppy disk drive
    Hard Disk : ST360020A (56GB)
    Hard Disk : Memory Stick Slot
    CD-ROM/DVD : HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8320B (CD 40X Rd, 32X Wr)
    CD-ROM/DVD : PIONEER DVD-ROM DVD-117R (CD 40X Rd) (DVD 5X Rd)
    CD-ROM/DVD : Generic DVD-ROM SCSI CdRom Device (CD 32X Rd) (DVD 4X Rd)

Logical Storage Devices
    1.44MB 3.5" (A:) : N/A
    Hard Disk (C:) : 16GB (738MB, 5% Free Space) (NTFS)
    Hard Disk (D:) : 40GB (22GB, 56% Free Space) (NTFS)
    Removable Drive (E:) : N/A
    CD-ROM/DVD (F:) : N/A
    CD-ROM/DVD (G:) : N/A
    CD-ROM/DVD (H:) : N/A

Peripherals
    Serial/Parallel Port(s) : 2 COM / 1 LPT
    USB Controller/Hub : SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller
    USB Controller/Hub : SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller
    USB Controller/Hub : USB Root Hub
    USB Controller/Hub : USB Root Hub
    FireWire/1394 Controller/Hub : NEC OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
    Keyboard : Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse : PS/2 Compatible Mouse

MultiMedia Device(s)
    Device : SiS 7012 Audio Driver

Communication Device(s)
    Device : Lucent Technologies Soft Modem AMR

Printers and Faxes
    Model : Canon S300
    Model : Auto Compaq IJ600 Inkjet Printer on DESTIN
    Model : Auto Canon Bubble-Jet BJC-1000 on MEGATRON

Power Management
    AC Line Status : On-Line

Operating System(s)
    Windows System : Microsoft Windows XP/2002 Home (Win32 x86) 5.01.2600 (Service Pack 1)

Network Services
    Adapter : D-Link Air DWL-520 Wireless PCI Adapter(rev.E)

Performance Tips
    Warning 100 : Large memory sizes should be made of Registered/Buffered memory.
    Tip 2 : Double-click tip or press Enter while a tip is selected for more information about the tip.

20. Rikky

How do you know thw cpu temp is high when it shuts off? :confused:

21. Rikky

Are you seeing any graphical imperfections known as artifacts before the shutdown
    :eek:

22. KegMan51

KegMan51 Private E-2

because after the computer shutsoff and i turn it back on, it tells me to go to power setup in the beginning, when i do that i see that the cpu temp is in red and at about 89 degrees Celcius. There has also been instances when the monitor loses its signal from the computer when playing a game.

23. KegMan51

KegMan51 Private E-2

besides the monitor losing its signal havent seen any imperfections in the graphics. The computer either all of a sudden shuts down or the monitor loses the signal.

24. Rikky

I say that because within seconds the cpu will cool down 10-20 degrees by the time you get into bios and usually you would see the heat in artifacts on the screen,try updating your gfx card drivers frrom nvidia.also have you checked the temp against sandras forgot which menu its in I'll have a quick look.

25. Rikky

The temps are in mainboard information mines currently at 46 degrees :D

26. KegMan51

KegMan51 Private E-2

In sandra mine is at 56.5 right now, which makes me believe it has to be something with the video card

27. Rikky

56 is a little high,but laptops generally run hotter,get the driver download started from nvidia 71.84 I think is the latest one,make a restore point before u install it. :Dyou should also get the latest updates from microsoft,dont install sp2 just yet though;- gfx card driv then test,updates then test.
    We really need other opinions on the heat from that cpu from people who have had one

28. KegMan51

KegMan51 Private E-2

Ive installed the new video drivers and everything seems to be working again... Thanx for the help Ricky

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds