Acronis True Image

Discussion in 'Software' started by gFused, Jun 19, 2007.

1. gFused

gFused Private E-2

I didn't see where else I can post this, so I'm hoping this is the right spot. I am working on putting together a new computer and I wanted to install XP Pro and other software on it. What I basically want to know is, I usually reinstall everything every 6 months or so. I want to start using an imaging program (Arconis True Image as opposed to Norton Ghost) so that it would be a lot easier to restore the system to new like condition. My question is, that since its a custom PC, what should I install before creating the image to ensure that this image will work on future builds? For example, I will create the image before installing the SoundBlaster and NVidia drives because I might change video cards later. So what would you guys recommend? I'm thinking that I would install everything except for any peripherals (printer, scanner) or upgraded devices (sound card, video card)

Thanks in advance

2. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

I use Acronis. I would make an image of everything as you have it set up now. If you ever upgraded anything at a later date it would be logical to then create a totally new image at that point, so it really wouldn't matter. When you reinstalled every 6 months you would always be doing it with an Acronis image that was as your current spec stands.

3. gFused

gFused Private E-2

Hey Lev. Thanks for your reply. I forgot to mention that I was going to create and image that is future proofed (bare essentials that do not have any extras), and then install all the drivers and peripherals and create another image just for this system. When I redo this computer 6 months from now, I will use the specific image. If something goes wrong and I update a part (new printer, better graphics card) then I can use the generic image (without the drivers). Anyone else have any suggestions/tips? I already looked at the FAQ section and got some great ideas from there.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds