newer laptop talking to "vintage" laptop printer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JimU, Jan 12, 2006.

1. JimU

JimU Private E-2

Hi folks,

O.K. I've got a relatively new HP ZT3300 Notebook computer with XP home version. All is working fine.

PROBLEM: I've got a "vintage" portable laptop printer (Canon BJC-80) and can't get it to work properly.
    Both the printer and notebook have infrared capabilities as well as parallel ports. Printer ONLY has a parallel port.

Here's what's happening: I got windows to add the printer and I get a "brief" infrared connection but then it goes away. The infrared port on both are right next to each other w/o interference from anything else. Still nothing. I've tried deleting the port and allowing windows to re-establish it and have tried a variety of settings for both windows and the printer. The ONLY success I've had getting anything to print is with a Parallel cable but ONLY after turning the printer off and back on again.

Any suggestions in my efforts to debug this problem would be appreciated.

OH! There's nothing of help I've been able to find on the Canon website either.

Thanks!
    jnulr:mad:

2. gimpster123

gimpster123 Bring out the Gimp.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds