cannot download adobe flash after trying 3 weeks

Discussion in 'Software' started by alterintel, Dec 16, 2014.

1. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

I have been trying to download adobe flash for three weeks. I have gone to firefox forum to no avail. I went to the adobe flash forum adobe runs. I detailed the problems I had trying to download from their page. A member of 'staff' simply gave me the link to the same download page and they labeled my problem 'solved'.
    When I try to download the installer doesn't work. I just get a blank window that is black, and nothing happens when I click on it. Twice I did get it downloaded [out of dozens of tries]. Then it only downloaded flash 15 the first time, and I got a message from firefox when I tried to update saying that my plug ins were blocked for my security, and identifying the plugs as flash 11 point something. The second time I downloaded flash 16 but still got the blocked plug ins and they were still saying I had adobe 11. I have been trying all month, installing, uninstalling, reinstalling. I have some things I need to do that require flash.
    Please help. :cry Is there an alternative to adobe flash? How can they hold such a monopoly over everything on the net like this?

2. C0rhHusk3r

C0rhHusk3r Private First Class

I undestand your frustation, but this is, with virtual certainty, not Adobe's fault. There is most likely something wrong with your computer. Since you say you have trouble even downloading Flash, can you download other things? Some information on your setup is needed for those who may want to help you.

A simple search reveals there are numerous alternatives to Flash Player. Many are free.

3. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

cornhusker,
    There is nothing wrong with my computer. I download things all the time with no problem, and have done so recently, during the timeframe in which I have repeatedly tried to download adobe. I run windows xp prof. on my old computer.
    I see other people posting online of similar problems trying to download adobe. Their help is a joke. Given their huge impact on everything, they should be doing much better in helping people. And I see no other sites but theirs from which to download adobe flash.

4. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

As I have said, I get a blank black window titled "adobe flash installer". I click on that, and it remains blank and nothing happens. The computer is clean, my thread on malware a while back was actually a misunderstanding of something. My bad. The computer is clean, has been checked by Hitman pro, mbam, avast, some others and is not behaving questionably except for Flash. I deleted older version remnants of Flash, made sure uninstalls were clean, tried again, still got no farther than the black blank installer window that does nothing. There is nothing else to tell.
    Perhaps I should mention I just downloaded Shockwave flash completely successfully from Adobe, but it doesn't work on the sites I am needing to use.
    I never claimed it wasn't a problem with my machine; I don't know what it was. What I complained about in my post was the shoddy state of Adobe's 'help page'; they evidently didn't read my post thru either.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  5. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Joe Ray,
    There is only one download link when you google "get adobe flash". This holds true even if you go to the archives and click on one of the older versions. It still takes you to the same download page where you can only download the most recent version. They don't let other download sites such as this one download their products so far as I know. I wish I could download it from MG. I have never had a failed or unclean download from them.
    I don't know what more to say. I need help and hope to get it rather than people doubting and criticising me. I am not computer literate to any degree beyond beginner, and have said so over and over in posts I have made. So I am doing all I know.

6. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

Try downloading both the flash player uninstaller and the stand alone installer.
    Run the uninstaller, then reboot into safe mode.
    Navigate to the directory "C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash" and see if all files been removed. If not, delete the Flash directory.
    Run the flash installer whilst still in safe mode.

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I gave you download links in post #5 in your other thread
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=289381
    You don't find those links when you google.
    When you paste either link in the code box into the browser address bar, you get the download dialog box popup.

Adobe does not want you to download older versions because of the security flaws. Unpatched flash is a big vector for malware to enter a computer, therefore the company wants everyone to run the latest patched version.

8. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

allterintel...

You found the quarantine. May I ask what you found in the quarantine?

Could the software site have been Softonic? I doubt it, as more than likely you downloaded a phony flash update. I know you know now, but the way to get Flash safely is from the Adobe site. Make sure to uncheck the evertoopresent optional add on download there.

All that said, I wonder if you may have actually been at one of the download sites that doesn't directly download the program you want. Some of them do offer Flash updates. These sites download their own software downloader when you click on the download link (CNET and BrotherSoft do this I know) and then the program is downloaded with that once you click on the downloaded file. In this case, I suppose Avast could have flagged this container for the download and then anything it downloaded. Then maybe you were actually getting a legit download of Flash that now is being blocked by Avast. That would explain why when you go to get it at Adobe, the installation won't work. This would happen if Avast had blocked the installer earlier.

Security software doesn't like containers very much. Some programs are a container for running portable programs, and I can say for sure that Private Firewall warns of activity from a container. 7-Zip portable is another one. I can install a program outside of its zip container without extracting the zip using 7-Zip portable, but Private Firewall catches it every time. This is a natural block to protect against zip files that contain malware. Perhaps the subject of your download was targeted by Avast and then the contents (Flash) too. I do know too that A-Vs scan zip files, and many downloads are downloaded in a zip folder.

Just saying, I would like to know what you found in the quarantine...

9. C0rhHusk3r

C0rhHusk3r Private First Class

I didn't say there were other sites to download Adobe Flash. I said there are alternative programs available. Take a look at http://www.transitionblog.com/4-most-amazing-alternatives-to-adobe-flash-player/ for some information on the matter.

As others have stated, I still believe there's something wrong with your computer, especially since you seem to have an unresolved malware issue and are not listening to those trying to help you. I, along with probably thousands of others, have recently and successfully downloaded Flash Player (I did it yesterday). That should tell you something about your situation.

10. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Plodr
    Thank you, thank you. I followed the link you gave, saw p.williner's post with the link to where to download, and lo and behold!, IT WORKED! Checked it out on a site I need to use it on and it worked.
    Thanks also for explaining why I couldn't load older versions. I wasn't aware of that.
    What I downloaded is called "Adobe flash player 16 NAP1" I mention that because I don't know what NAPI means.

11. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Plodr,
    Just wrote you a message and also hit thanks but don't see either. Probably my bad; hectic day.
    Thank you, Thank you! I followed the link you gave, saw p.williner's post giving me a download link. Downloaded it from there . Went to site I need it for and it worked fine.
    What I downloaded was called "Adobe flash player 16 NPAP1'. I mention this because I don't know what NPAPI means.
    Must go back to the link and thank p.williner.
    Also, thanks to all who inputed.
    alterintel

12. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I don't know what NPAP1 means. I'd be guessing if I said NPAP means non plug and play.

I don't have time to go searching.
    All I know is that I installed this on 9 December and it has worked fine.

One of my online friends is a MS MVP for security. She has a website and I get her links for flash.

You might want to bookmark her site because she has security issues posted all the time.
    Corrine's Security Garden
    http://securitygarden.blogspot.com/

On the right, under December, you can click on the Flash article and get the links without the junk included in the downloads.

13. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

NAPI is probably related to this-> NPAPI...

In case anyone is interested it stands for Netscape Plugin Application Programming Interface:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NPAPI

Now I know Wikipedia has an article for everything :clap

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds