video/sound problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by jerkin, Dec 18, 2014.

1. jerkin

jerkin Private E-2

Hey guys, I received some great help here a year or two ago and am back looking for more. I am not a computer person so please keep any replies simple, lol. I have a Toshiba laptop running windows 7 with firefox, avast antivirus and superantispyware.

Whatever happened to my computer is affecting several different things. Mostly video/audio. Several things happened around the time it started acting weird, first I downloaded a video converter (I think it was Any Video Converter) from downloads.com. It didn't work properly so I uninstalled it and around the same time (Don't remember if it was before or after) I was getting a message from microsoft that my windows may not be genuine. It was annoying and I know my version of windows is ok (came on the computer) so I let them check and they said it was not genuine!

Now what happens is my computer has no sound (not even operating sounds) and won't play videos. If I try to play video that is on my computer with windows media player I get a message that it can't play the file. If I click "help" it gives an error code of C00D11B1 which wants me to check all the audio settings which I did and everything seems fine.

If I go to youtube the video will start but keeps trying to buffer several times before throwing an error and saying try again later. Sometimes the small flash ads on the side of a webpage will play though. It does not work in internet explorer either. My internet acts a little funny also, sometimes when I use google for a search I click on a site and an error comes up that the site is unavailable and a button to try again. That never happened before.

So far I have updated everything (firefox, plugins like flash player, etc, avast and antispyware) ran full scans through avast and superantispyware (found one problem with java and a few tracking cookies), tried updating the sound devices but it said they were the latest version so I rolled them back, tried it again with the same problems, then updated. This didn't help. Checked all the audio settings to see if something was turned off, everything looked good. I don't know what else to try. If you guys have any ideas I would greatly appreciate it.

Sorry about the long post but I wanted to put down as much information as I could remember. I posted in this forum as I think it is a windows problem since it happens not only on internet videos but with my media player as well.

2. jerkin

jerkin Private E-2

I forgot to mention that I also tried to restore to a few days before the problems started and that didn't work either. Thanks again for any help or new ideas.

3. jerkin

jerkin Private E-2

I finally fixed the problem today with some help from an old thread on another site. Figured I'd post it here in case someone finds this thread in the future. No idea how it works but what I did was click on the start button and go into programs then accessories and find "command prompt" right click on that and click "run as administrator"

When the black screen comes up type: sfc /scannow and hit enter (note the space between sfc and /scannow). It took a while to scan but found some corrupt files and fixed them. I copied what the result said:

Windows resource protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them. Details are included in the CBS.log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.
    For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

It also said something about changes taking affect after reboot so I did that and the problem was fixed. I'm still getting the "connection was reset, try again" message when I attempt to go to certain sites but my wife said her laptop did that a few times also so maybe it's something with the latest version of firefox and our internet provider, no big deal, I'll live with that.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I've read that sometimes sfc has to run three times for it to fix everything. You might want to run it a couple more times and see if that gets rid of the message.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds