your animal friends need you right now...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fiver22, Oct 5, 2005.

1. fiver22

fiver22 Sergeant

The Animal Rescue League (or your local equivalent) needs you:
    -You can drop off money (as little as 1.00$ will do) –this is probably the most effective way to help the animals.
    -You can volunteer your time to play-with/feed the animals (this shows the animals that humans aren’t scary).
    -You can drop off food: they are desperate for dog/cat food. No amount is too small (if you ever see a sale on pet food you can buy a few extra dollars worth to donate to your local shelter).
    -You can donate any toy that animals might enjoy.
    -They are desperate for people that are willing to donate their time to just be “around” these animals: most of these animals have become dependant on human contact: they require unconditional love…you can make their lives *so* much more pleasant by providing a little bit of love.
    -You can use animal shelters to get pets -as opposed to breeders –it is especially gratifying to get an older animal that has a lower chance of being selected for a loving home.
    -Most animal shelters welcome visitors: if once a week you could visit your local shelter and give the animals a few minutes attention it would greatly improve their quality of life –and also improve their chances for adoption.
    -We all know that many animals in shelters get euthanized: it takes very little to improve their quality of life before the big sleep. –They give us unconditional love… shouldn’t we make *some* effort to comfort them!?
    *You* can help.
    Please do…
    ( [I know that there are many issues effecting humans that are *very* important -I see these issues as well] -But I also thought it was important to mention the horrible conditions that many of our non-human friends suffer-through every day of their existence...especially considering the strength/relief they can provide us.)
    (edit: my signature is not necessary)

2. AbbySue

AbbySue MajorGeeks Administrator

Thanks for this reminder fiver!:)

When my kids were younger I used to take them every weekend to the local animal shelter (totally funded by donations) where they volunteered. They would clean kennels, give the dogs baths, take them for walks or just play with them..my daughter even gave them their shots.:eek: While cleaning the kennels was not their favorite thing to do especially when it was hot out, the rewards far out-weighed the odors they encountered.:D We adopted our dog there and we couldn't have made a better choice.

Chris and I want to get a dog when we move and I'll have one waiting for me...already made contact with a place that rescues dogs...I can't wait.:)

Other things the shelters are usually desperately in need of is bleach for cleaning and old blankets which are used in the kennels to give the animals something to lay down on.

Also check to see if they do things like massive garage/yard sales to raise money then you can clean out your closet/attic and donate what you don't want or use anymore.:)

3. evilevets

evilevets Sergeant Major

And the number one thing you can do to help animals is...

Get them spayed or nuetered!

If more people did that, there wouldn't be so many animals in shelters in the first place.

-Steve

4. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

That goes for some humans too :p

@Abby ... love the new avatar hun :D

5. AbbySue

AbbySue MajorGeeks Administrator

Thanks Lev:) It's not what I envisioned..just didn't have the time to mess with it. But, at least I managed to throw something together for Breast Cancer Awareness Month..my mom was 3rd generation and I've had a couple scares myself.

As fer neutering and humans..I couldn't agree more in some cases:eek: The shelter where I adopted my dog would return $50 if you brought in proof within 30 or 60 days that you had your pet spayed or neutered. I had my baby spayed, but chose not to get the money back....figured they could use it more than me.

Oh! One more thing...many Veterinarians will give you a discount on the surgery if you adopted your pet from a shelter. While it may not seem like much every little bit helps..especially when you are perfectly willing to provide a good loving home and all the involved initial expenses (adoption, license, shots, physical, heart worm pills, surgery, food, toys, collar, leash..etc...) stretch your budget a little to far.

6. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Amen. :)

Steve

7. cindysnoopy

cindysnoopy Shotgun!

The shelter where I grew up automatically spayed or neutered all the animals before they were adopted out. I thought that was a smart move.

8. sibeer

sibeer MajorGeek

Yes, here too. Our last kitten came from SPCA. $80.00 Shots and spaying included.

9. fiver22

fiver22 Sergeant

Kaula: I don't understand your reply. -If I've offended you in any way I am sorry.

10. fiver22

fiver22 Sergeant

Thanks to "AbbySue" and "evilevets" for some insightfull responces.
    (Thanks to all others that posted helpfull responces).

11. fiver22

fiver22 Sergeant

No worries, Kaula. I'm pretty attached to this issue as well.
    (edit: editing out my PC Specs.)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2005
  12. black_dragon

black_dragon Private E-2

I would volentear if I could, i have already tryed but they won't let me cause I'm not old enough, and the closest animal place is like ages away, and my mum would have to drive me! :(

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds