i need to get an ethernet controller

Discussion in 'Software' started by sqwatter, Jul 23, 2006.

1. sqwatter

sqwatter Private E-2

i recently got broadband, but when i tried to set it up, i found i couldnt coz i needed an ethernet controller which unfortunately i havent got on my computer. i used the resource cd which came with my computer but it didnt have the driver. what am looking for and when i have found it how do i install it to get everything working again?

2. itguy

itguy Private E-2

You just need a PCI network card (100mbps). Confirm you have an open PCI slot in your system. Pick one up off the shelf at any electronics store. They run around $15 to $20. It will come with a driver disk.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Well to determine if you have a network controller on your motherboard, we will have to know either,

1. What PC you have if its a Pre-build as in DELL, HP etc.. also model number too?

2. Which motherboard do you have if its a home/custom build.. to find this info you can use Everest Free, once installed run and goto Motherboard > motherboard and next to Name it will give a value code ie. Gigabyte GA-8IHXP < which is mine as an example.

from their we can determine if you have a network controller and what driver you need, sadly your PC "may" not have come with ethernet/network controller thus you will have to buy a network PCI card to use your broadband.

4. sqwatter

sqwatter Private E-2

ive got a dell dimension 8250 which i reformatted yesterday. there is the standard motherboard inside which is an intel i850, or so it says in everest, but i cant get the name and value for the motherboard, all it says is dell dimension 8250. i have an ethernet port in the computer although i have only got a modem card in the back...or so i think.:confused:

5. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

6. sqwatter

sqwatter Private E-2

what do you mean by onboard controller?

7. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

Ethernet controller = Ethernet card = Network Interface card = NIC = Network Adapter = LAN card.

Lots of names for the same thing. Usually called a card when it's added in the form of a PCI card; usually called an onboard controller when it's built onto the motherboard.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds