trying to maximize old laptop

Discussion in 'Software' started by excellrec, Nov 1, 2007.

1. excellrec

excellrec Private E-2

I was given an older laptop for free and I'm trying to figure how to maximize it's potential. It has an intel celeron 800mhz and a 10gb hdd with like 128mb of ram. So obviously it's gonna need a little help. Basically what I'm trying to determine is what kind of o.s. I only need it for word processing and basic web browsing and e-mailing, no videos, no video games and etc. I'm thinking of putting windows 98 on there and then trying to bring down all the graphics and so forth to maximize it. I also want to try to increase battery time. Basically I just want to make this into a smooth clean machine, and despite it's age I think it can be done. Any tips or tricks would also be helpful though.

oh, and it's a Gateway 5300 if anyone cares to know.

2. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Sounds like a good candidate for Win98SE. You can strip out a lot of what it loads in a normal install later to save disk space.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds