What's the best free registry cleaner

Discussion in 'Software' started by hugh750, Aug 1, 2009.

1. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

What's the best free registry cleaner, I'm looking for a free registry cleaner that does all the same stuff that registry mechanic does :).

2. avondude

avondude Senior Member, 25% Off All Posts

I have used CCleaner for years---on three of my own computers---all four of my children's computers---and recommend it to everyone I know---have NEVER had a problem with it---use it because it was recommended here as being the best---it really is---and keeps your computer squeaky clean

3. silas

silas MajorGeek

Ccleaner :celebrate

4. Recycle Bin

Recycle Bin Private First Class

The safest registry cleaner would be Ccleaner.
    In my opinion the most powerful would Eusing Free Registry Cleaner.
    [​IMG]

5. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

The consensus is definitely CCleaner. RegScrub XP is useful as a second tier cleaner but should only be used by an experienced user.

6. Tonyrush

Tonyrush Corporal

Thanks for that bit of info! I'll be trying Ccleaner.
    Tony

7. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

CCleaner I like personally. I also like IObit Advanced SystemCare

8. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

I agree with all the favorable comments about CCleaner; I use it regularly. I also have Eusing Free Registry Cleaner installed on my Windows XP system but only use it infrequently. I don't know whether it's "the most powerful" but it is more aggressive than CCleaner, yet has never caused problems for me.

With any registry cleaner, you should always backup the registry before executing the cleaning. Both CCleaner and Eusing Free Registry Cleaner prompt you to do that, as any good registry cleaner should do.

9. sahuntree

sahuntree Private E-2

Now you tell me....How do I recover RegScrubXP files that were wrongly deleted???HELP

10. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

If nothing else has been installed, you might be able to get it back by using ReCuva or FreeUndelete.

11. sdbett

sdbett Private E-2

O.K. - I will try to point in the right direction -

Registry.

(1) DO NOT apply manual changes to the registry.

(2) M.S. 'Regclean' is free and I have checked it's corrections and it seems to do "What's on the packet".

(3) At a cost, 'Advanced System Care' does the same but with much deaper effect.

(4) At a cost, 'Auslogics Boostspeed' forces the final defrag of the registry - If needed.

I use all three but (3) and (4) almost every day.

As a rule, I do not "Play" with the registry, but - Find that it is sometimes good to have a "Bloody good cleanout" as I test many types of software every week.

Any probs - SHOUT - If you have any issues!

12. sdbett

sdbett Private E-2

I use 'Recover my files' but - Be prepared for a long wait on the results as it will recover ALL sub-Files (Millions - Possibly).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds