A loada corrupted JPGS

Discussion in 'Software' started by goldfish, Mar 29, 2004.

1. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Grrr.... looks like someone got into my server, went into a website and corrupted all the pics on one part. All JPG images, in a specific directory. For some reason, they are coming up with "no preivew" in windows image viewer and as "No preview" and arnt being sent to browsers by IIS.

Anyway, anyone got any ideas short of starting again from scratch?

2. billH

billH Master Sergeant

Hmmm . . . Goldie? If you rename the JPGs to what? PNG or GIF? Do you suppose thatwould make a difference. I seem to recall that once something like your corrupt JPG thingee happened to me . . . seems to me that renaming or converting them to another format helped. Darn, wish I could remember, but I can't. Oh well ignore me :confused:

3. G.T.

G.T. R.I.P February 4, 2007. You will be missed.

Hasn't there been a virus or two that trashed .jpg files, among others? Not sure about salvaging them, but I'd run a thorough virus scan.

Can you view those images at all? Possibly the pics are OK but the links to preview and load them are damaged?

4. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Nope, pics are definatley corrupted, i checked i logged into the server locally (its under my desk) and when you double click it it comes up with "no preview" ill try changing the exensions and re-converting them.

And i dont think its a virus, as it has only happened to one directory of images. Though it is possible. Ive updated and scanned for viruses, nothing shows.

5. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Ahh, got it, some sad git went and screwed up the permissions, so i just have to go thru all the files and take ownership of them... grrrrr ... there must be an easier way to do this?

6. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

take ownership of the whole folder, that should propagate down.

7. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Ahh.... thats better.. I had to FORCE it to give me ownership of the whole thing, and it didnt like it one bit! it gave me 4 error warnings and an "are you SURE?" screen before it let me do it. But all seems to be well now :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds