"Shared Documents" folder renamed to "Documents" and no long accessible

Discussion in 'Software' started by Bob423, May 29, 2005.

1. Bob423

Bob423 Private E-2

Well, it's been a long morning. I started out with a simple install of Photoshop CS2 and found that the Adobe Installer wouldn't work. After trying to install it manually, found that it couldn't access an Adobe PDF folder in "Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents", access was denied.

Curiously, I wondered by the folder was named "Documents" instead of "Shared Documents" and tried to access it with a double click. I received the message "... is not accessible. Access is denied"

Many of the Google threads suggest changing the security access level of the Documents folder but I can't even access the folder - with the further puzzlement of why it's named "Documents" instead of "Shared Documents"

I do remember that I used to have a folder named "Shared Documents" when I clicked on "My Computer" but now I just have one named "Documents" along with my own folder of "Rob's Documents" I could have inadvertently deleted or impacted it myself when I tried to set up a network several months ago (unsuccessfully).

So what I am requesting help with is:
    - How to restore a Shared Document's folder in My Computer
    - How to restore access to either the new "Shared Documents" or at least to the present "Documents" folder where I now get access denied.

My system:
    XP Home with all the updates off the Microsoft site
    Norton Anti-Virus
    Norton Firewall
    Spy Sweeper
    P4 Intel with Intel board

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks, Bob

2. Bob423

Bob423 Private E-2

Found the fix!!

After following the procedure below not only was I able to install the Adobe Installer (and now Photoshop updates automatically) but the Documents folder in All Users was renamed automatically to Shared Documents when I restarted my computer after the procedure.

Old name: Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents
    New name after fix: Documents and Settings\All Users\Shared Documents

Additionally, I can now access the renamed Shared Documents folder and furthermore, can access all the folders below it.

The procedure was originally published by Adobe to fix the updater not installing problem and applies to XP Home but it apparently will also reinstitute the Shared Documents folder too! Note that the security tab is NOT visible in XP Home unless you are in Safe Mode.

Start computer in SAFE mode (F8)
    Browse to My Computer -> C: -> Documents and Settings
    Right click on All Users
    Select Properties
    Select the Security tab
    Click on Advanced
    Highlight Administrators
    Check only "Replace permissions..."
    Click on Apply
    Click on OK
    Exit out and reboot normally
    Put in Photoshop CS2 disk
    When menu starts, select Explore CD Contents
    Open Adobe(R) Photoshop(R) CS2 folder
    Open commonfilesinstaller
    Double click "Adobe Common File Installer.msi"
    And follow the prompts from there

Regards, Bob

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Thanks for updating the forum on your fix Bob, many members dont and with you taking the time to update us it may help someone else with same problem.

4. Bob423

Bob423 Private E-2

Halo,

Thanks. I always try to be helpful. I found many threads on this topic across many sites but not a definitive answer anywhere. When I did stumble across the answer and it actually worked on my system, I decided to post the answer on this site which I consider the best one on the internet for technical questions - and the most responsive!

Regards, Bob

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds