one quick question about beep codes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by short_jo, Sep 20, 2007.

1. short_jo

short_jo Private E-2

Will a motherboard produce beep codes if the processor is dead? If you want, just answer this question but I will post a larger description of my problem below if you care to read.

Alright, I just installed a new motherboard into my PC and I am having a little trouble. When i tried to pry off the heatsink from the processor on the old board, the processor came with it and the pins bent. I straightened them out pretty well and got the processor to fit in the slot decently. I reapplied the thermal compound, booted, and there was NOTHING except power. But this is not the end. I took the processor back out, slid a credit card between the pins to straighten them better, put it back, and tried again. I get beep codes now. They are just 1 long one followed by a pause and then another long one over and over. So back to my original question, I was just wondering if the processor is working. I am kind of thinking it is the RAM now, which would totally suck. Anyways, your input is GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.

2. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

I have never had beep codes with a dead cpu, i have also had many bent pins and straightened them out as you did with no problems, clear the cmos, unplug power supply, pull mb battery out, hold down on-off button for a few seconds, wait a few minutes and try to get it to post. ed

3. leoleotheiii

leoleotheiii Private First Class

u cud always go search what the code stands for in the motherboard manufacture's site.....

bent pins may damage the processor just to let you know.......im not sure if it can kill it or not. My northwood system failed on me this summer and i took out the cpu only to find that 3-4 pins were bent (talk about low quality assembly back in the store where at bought this *rolls eyes*) I straighten them and cleared my cmos and the computer wud boot again. But after that incident the computer wud take 10 min to boot to windows. I find this very absurd and almost to the point i wud call shinanigans on myself since i dont think its possible for the cpu to even operate with bent pins. But i never meddled with that cpu before so i know it cuddnt have been me. BTW they were bent to the point that they werent even in the tiny sockets for each pin..........

why wud the ram failure suck more than the cpu failure? imo cpu is way more expensive.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds