Can't Install Sound Drivers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Emerald, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Emerald

Emerald Private E-2

Hello.
    I'm usually the last kind of person to actually ask for help with a problem on my PC.
    But this one is beyond me, and I truly need some assistance.

Reformatted my computer recently, Everything else installed fine, Got my system files and drivers back up to date, everything went smoothly.

Except for when I booted up my Game and discovered I no longer had sound.

Using the Start Menu - Accessories - Entertainment - Volume Control

There are no active mixer devices avaliable. To install mixer devices, go to Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Add Hardware This Program will now close.

I google-magic'ed my way through this problem, figured out my sound card, downloaded sound drivers.

RealTek AC'97 Drivers.

I was so happy when I thought I had solved my problem, only to be shot down when I got this weird message that this program was not approved by Microsoft? And asked me if I wanted to cancel, I chose not to cancel, and got hit by the bluescreen, next time I did cancel, no sound.

Tried automatic Installing Drivers, Manually installing the Drivers, nothing works. I get the same Weird message and if I ignore it, I get bluescreened.

Going through SafeMode, I am able to not get the Message, but next time I load, I get bluescreened.

I am at a complete loss and would appreciate any help given.

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Are you sure that you have Realtek sound? AC'97 does not always mean Realtek drivers.

Did you reinstall your chipset drivers? They must be installed before the audio.

Realtek AC'97 Drivers

Realtek AC'97 Drivers for Vista

Here are the XP and Vista AC'97 drivers.
    If you need more help we will need more info, Like PC make and model, motherboard ID, or an Everest report.

Use Everest to get a report of your system’s hardware, OS, and drivers.
    Upload the report as an attachment.
    Everest: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181
    When Everest is done scanning, click "Report" at the top of the Everest window, click next to get to "Report Profile", select "Hardware related pages", click next, select "Plain Text", click "Finish". Then when it is done processing, click "Save To File". Save it where you want to. (I would use Desktop.)
    Now come back here to your thread.
    Click "Go Advanced" in the MG reply box (near the bottom of the page), scroll down a little way until you see "Manage Attachments", click it, browse to your file, click "Upload", and close the window. Then submit the post. You may have to also type something in the reply box.

3. Emerald

Emerald Private E-2

Heres my Report, hope you can help.

Attached Files:

4. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I meant to post this earlier.
    When Driver Signing is set to Warn or Block and Windows encounters a file that has not been digitally signed, it interrupts the installation and gives a warning message.

Go to Start>Control Panel>System>Hardware>Driver Signing Options and set it to Ignore.
    Then install your driver.

But now I don't think that's your problem.
    Everest shows Analog Devices AD1981A as your audio driver.
    Analog Devices AD1981A

Your chipset drivers look like they're installed but it is always best to install them BEFORE installing the audio.
    [FONT=Arial,helvetica]INF Update Utility - Primarily for Intel® 800 Series Chipsets[/FONT]

5. Emerald

Emerald Private E-2

I tried that link just now, And it gave me an error

Driver not Found! Reboot your system and run this setup again.

6. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Did you install the chipset first?

7. Emerald

Emerald Private E-2

Yes, Thanks...

I reset, and it actually worked.

Thank you for your assistance, I truly appreciated, Basically saved me from replacing the whole card.

8. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Great! You had me going for a minute.
    Even went looking at a Viewpoint site (Everest says your board is a special Intel® Desktop Board D845GRG for Viewpoint)
    That site tried to get me to install Antivirus 2009 which is MALWARE I believe! :eek
    Whether it is or not, I don't click on stuff like that. I shut down my browser through Task Manager.
    Anyway, [​IMG]

9. Emerald

Emerald Private E-2

Now the only problem I have going now is the fact it sounds like the equalizer is messed up.

Like theres an Echo-y Effect and during a movie or a song, voices fade in and out, really weird.

10. Emerald

Emerald Private E-2

Really strange, I don't know whats going on at all, play one song that you can't hear a voice at all. Just the guitar and such.

11. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Do you have a Audio Mixer in the control panel or if you right click the Volume icon?

12. Emerald

Emerald Private E-2

Yes, I now have the little Speaker in the corner. And the Sound Max Digital Integrated Audo icon.

Not sure what to do next.
    The Audio works, but its messed up.

13. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Look around in there for default settings or any thing that may be causing your echo (reverb) or loss of voices (karaoke)

14. Emerald

Emerald Private E-2

I tried that first thing. Also went into advance settings on the Volume Controller. Also Sound and Audio Properties in the Control panel.

Tried Dxdiag, and all that too. Very unfortunate. But still serves it's purpose. Can listen to foot steps from enemy soldiers now =P

However, it makes mp3s a moot point.

Tried everything I know off-hand.

Edit-Youtube's Audio works just fine, strangely. Seems like its only the Window's Media Player, Checking with another media playing...

Oh my, I think it might actually be just my Windows Media Player... No problems then =P

Just will get WinAmp.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  15. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

WMP has some settings in View>Enhancements that coul be the problem. I don't use it so I don't have much advice there.
    A reinstall to a newer version may solve the problem, too.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds