Missing Content.IE5 folder in Temp Internet Files

Discussion in 'Software' started by newport dave, Feb 21, 2007.

1. newport dave

newport dave Private E-2

Recently when I've wanted to open a Pdf file on the internet, or my wife tries to open an attachment in her emails (use Orange webmail) when logged onto the compuer under my logon. We get the following error message.

Along the top of the error box it says : D:\Documents and Setting\my name\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\V3...

Then next to the red 'X' it says : Windows cannot access the specified device,path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access this item.

When I checked my Temp Internet File, I found I was missing the Content.IE5 folder. This folder still exists in the default user and my wifes Temp Internet File folder. I tried copying across my wifes folder which it did, but it doesn't show in my folder and I still get the above message.

I've tried to create a new folder aswell, but it didn't even give me the option to when I right clicked.

I can't remember deleting it or doing anything that would delete it.

Windows XP SP2
    Zone Alarm Security Suite 7

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Do I correctly understand you have XPSP2 and IE5 not IE6?
    When IE is open what does it say if you click on help>about Internet Explorer?
    Do this in each user account.
    Also What is the status of your user and the others vis a vis limited or administrator?
    Finally have you checked with the settings of Zonealarm to see who has what permission?

Studio T

3. newport dave

newport dave Private E-2

No I have IE7, both my wife and I have adminstrator profile on windows and I do on Zonealarm, on my wifes login we have no problem viewing Pdf, email attachments etc, it's just my login.

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

You seem to be another victim of IE7 woes, did the problem arise soon after your recent update?

You just MIGHT cure it by going to the adobe website and forcing an acrobat update, this is about 50MB if I remember correctly

www.adobe.com

Studio T

5. newport dave

newport dave Private E-2

The problem as only arisen in the last week or so, I downloaded IE7 as soon as the final version came out months ago.....but I'll try that adobe update..

6. newport dave

newport dave Private E-2

Downloaded Adobe 8, but still have the same problem.

7. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Did it start about the time you installed ZA? Try disabling The ZoneAlarm Suite and see what happens.

What did you use before ZA?

Steve

8. newport dave

newport dave Private E-2

No....had ZA a couple of years now, recently updated to ZASS7 but that was over a month ago. This problem only started last week.

Had to re-install ZASS7 last week 13/2 due to conflicts with Spyware Doctor 3, part of the process according to ZA website was to delete the folder 'internet logs' which I did, but definately not Content.IE5

9. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

I hate to tell you to start uninstalling stuff and it might not fix the problem. But, it could be one of the "Security Software" you have installed. Maybe Spyware Doctor?

I would start with what I did last week and then you noticed the issue.

Steve

10. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

Try this out and see if it helps.

To make the Content.IE5 folder visible in your profile Temporary Internet Files directory

Please note that it is not necessary to make the Content.IE5 folder visible in Temporary Internet Files directory to delete files in the Content.IE5 folder.

1. Press Start and select Run.
    2. Type cmd.
    3. At the command prompt, type

dir /a "%Userprofile%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\*.*"

11. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

I just saw this. It sounds like it might work better.

In XP, Open IE and goto Tools on Menu Bar, under Temp Internet Files, click on Settings. In the Settings Box, click on Move Folder. To reset the Temporary Internet Files Folder and the Associated Content.IE5 folders, just set the move to C:\Documents and Settings\%user%\Local Settings then click OK. This will reset the Temporary Internet Files Folder and the Content.IE5 folder with the Index.dat file as well.

12. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 Private E-2

I had the same problem this week after the Windows updates ran this last weekend. I believe it is related to ZoneAlarm program control. Here is what fixed it for me:

Open ZoneAlarm control Panel
    Go to Program Control
    Find Internet Explorer on the list
    Look in the "Trust level" box - Mine had reverted to restricted.
    I changed the Smart Defense setting to Auto and verified that the trust box showed trusted again.

Hope it helps.
    Jeff

13. newport dave

newport dave Private E-2

Uninstalled Spyware Doctor completely the other week, didn't re-install.

14. newport dave

newport dave Private E-2

Did as above, and it listed it. But it still doesn't show in Windows Explorer and still getting same error.

15. newport dave

newport dave Private E-2

Didn't work, it just left me with no temporary internet files folder, so had to move it back.

16. newport dave

newport dave Private E-2

No, mines fine, but thanks for the help.

David

17. newport dave

newport dave Private E-2

Just ran CCleaner and noticed that it had the index.dat file in Content.IE5 folder marked for deletion. So I checked my Temp Internet Folder and there was the Content.IE5 folder. But when I double click on Content.IE5 the folders which are normally in the Content.IE5 only appear in the righthand pane appearing slightly faded. When I double click on one of these I get up the message 'This page has a unspecified potential security risk, would you like to continue' if I click yes the folder opens and then appears in the tree in the left hand pane. Unfortunately I'm still getting the same error, but for some reason if i goto into the folder it will let my open the file from there no problem. If I close windows explorer then re-open it sometimes the Content.IE5 folder as disappeared again and it re-appears after running ccleaner, and the folders in Content.IE5 are always faded and only in the right pane until I click on them and they appear in the tree in the left pane, I only get the security risk message the first time the folder re-appears. But as I mentioned earlier I'm still getting the same error message. I've scanned the Temporary Internet Files folder with ZA and it says it's fine..............

Thanks for anymore advice

David

18. newport dave

newport dave Private E-2

Somehow fixed itself, as everything is now back as normal.............confused

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds