PC will not Restart?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by swalsh19, Nov 20, 2007.

1. swalsh19

swalsh19 Private First Class

My PC whenever I try to do a RESTART instead of shudown will just hang. WIndows will shutdown but the PC will not restart, screen just goes black. If I manually hit reset everything is fine.

Any ideas on this?

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Try this:

3. swalsh19

swalsh19 Private First Class

Thanks for the shortcut to restart the PC but this still does not resolve the issue.

The PC will not restart it just hangs after Windows exits. The motherboard is NEW also so I don't think it is an issue with the motherboard.

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

True...but at least we know now that it will ....check what processes are running before you shut down ..it's possible that a program is delaying the restart.

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

See if it restarts from Safe Mode.

6. n3et

n3et Private E-2

"If I manually hit reset everything is fine."

Define "hit reset". Are you momentarily pushing the power button? If so, then you have windows set to restart instead of go into standby. Which indicates that there may be a menu option to change and change back again.

Likewise, define "RESTART" and "shutdown" as in, do you go to start/turn off my computer and do it by menu options?

I am thinking it is windows shutdown that isn't working correctly and never gets to restarting.

Is this a desktop or laptop?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2007

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds