Realtek High Definition Audio Driver problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by Calade, May 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calade

Calade Private E-2

I have this problem with my ASUS P5K motherboard's audio drivers. It's the Realtek High Definition Audio a lot of people have been having problems with, but I wasn't able to find a solution from their posts.

The problem came up like this: I tried reinstalling my audio drivers because of some smaller problems to make sure they are up-to-date, but when I tried to install the driver back in, the installer gave an error. Nothing special, just something like "Installing Realtek High Definition Audio driver failed". I can't
    even install the original drivers from the mobo CD, same error.

I haven't been able to find any files related to the driver from my PC, so those shouldn't be the problem. Please help me, I need to enjoy my Age of Conan experience with sounds! ^^

2. Calade

Calade Private E-2

Oh yea, and my OS is WinXP Pro.

3. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Have you tried rolling back the driver?

Generally this works:
    1) In Device Manager, remove the High Definition audio device (or the unknown device, if there is one) under Sound, Video & Game controllers.
    2) Go into Device Manager>System, right click the UAA Hi-Def Bus driver.
    Disable the device and then uninstall it. (Do not re-boot yet)
    3) Uninstall Realtek High Definition Audio Driver (you may just have a folder that says Realtek) through Add/Remove Programs (if it's installed but not working)
    KB888111
    In Add/Remove Programs, look for the KB888111 update and uninstall it. (It may have uninstalled in last step)
    If you install, remove, and then re-install this update, the update is no longer listed in Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel.
    Therefore, you cannot remove this update from your computer.
    To work around this problem, follow these steps.
    1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
    2. Locate and then click the following subkey in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP\SP2\KB888111 (may be in SP3)
    3. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
    4. Click Yes, and then exit Registry Editor.
    Run CCleaner, both the Cleaner and Registry.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_S...ish_d4191.html
    Reboot, but don't let Windows install the driver.
    Install your driver, then reboot, again.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/Realtek_Hi...P03_d4902.html
    The UAA should be contained in this download.

4. Calade

Calade Private E-2

Ah, this did the problem. I tried doing that same thing before, but it wouldn't remove those devices because I didn't disable them first..

Thank you so much for you help! :)

5. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Check: Speakers connected?
    Check:
    Master Volume control. (not muted)
    Check that Windows Audio Service is started.
    Go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services
    Scroll down the list of services until you find the Windows Audio service.
    Right click on it and choose Properties.
    Make sure it is set to Automatic and Start is checked.
    Check: Device Manager for bad drivers.
    For XP: Go to Start>Control Panel> System. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager, then click the plus sign in front of Sound, Video, Game Controllers.
    For Vista: Go to Start>Control Panel>Device Manager
    In Device Manager, if there is a ? in front of your audio device, that means no audio driver is installed.
    A ! means driver installation attempted but with problems.

6. Calade

Calade Private E-2

Yea, I edited that last post after saying there was no sound, but it just appeared after a few minutes. Thanks again :)

7. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

So everything works now?

8. Calade

Calade Private E-2

Well, I still have a problem with Flash sounds (the reason why I reinstalled my audio drivers in the first place), but my techie friend is going to have a look at it in the morning. I'll get back to you if he can't figure it out :)

9. Calade

Calade Private E-2

Ok, this is very interesting.. He took it to his computer shop and flash sounds worked fine there. Is it even possible? :/

10. AftabBogdan

AftabBogdan Private E-2

:wave:drool:wave:drool:wave:drool:wave:drool:wave:drool:wave:drool:wave

Due especially to the brilliance of:
    Musksnipe

My Realtek issues resolved.
    Thanx 2 all but especially Musksnipe

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  11. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

You know it's posts like yours that keep the ones that spend time volunteering their help here, continuing to do that.
    One minute, I am stuck in what seems to be an unsolvable problem (not this one) and ready to stop offering my help, because it seems futile, then I see your post and feel like like I am actually helping some folks even when I don't realize it.
    Thanks for your thanks.;)

12. Ceymore

Ceymore Private E-2

Hi to one and all especially your magnificance Mr musksnipe:cool

Many thanks for your fix for this problem, it worked perfectly..
    If I had any hair in the first place then this realtek audio thingy would have had me tearing it out, how the hell do you find a solution to these things?
    I've re-booted, deleted and reloaded drivers dozens of times during this last week to no avail and now I am so happy I could kiss a frog...:yum

If you're ever in the north of England, Manchester-ish then look me up and I shall purchase a pint of the finest for you. ;) :drink

Cheers Mr Musksnipe sir :highfive

Cliff

13. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Yes indeed great advice from Musksnipe, as this issue is resloved with the fix duely posted by Muskie, you can thank him by clicking the THANKS button to the bottom right of his fix post.

Cheers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds