help!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by tnpaw01, Feb 9, 2011.

1. tnpaw01

tnpaw01 Private E-2

Have a Dell Laptop Inspiron with Windows XP. Got a virus and it has taken over my DVD/CD Rom so therefore I cannot do anything to remove it. Ran a diagnostic test results: DVDRW-4-DRIVE media missing or blank". It will boot only to the wallpaper screen, no start menu or shortcuts. Then it will shut down and start over again. I have removed the battery. Can someone please give me step by step instructions on how to fix the laptop? Thanks

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Welcome to MG's!! Can you boot into safe mode? Do you have your desktop when in safe mode? I suggest you try doing the following as much as you can and then post in the Malware Forum and attach the logs that you can get:

READ & RUN ME FIRST. Malware Removal Guide

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds