Toshiba Laptop Fan Replacement and Mobo Monitor Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Allosaurus, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Allosaurus

Allosaurus Private E-2

Hello,

I have a Toshiba Satellite A15-S157 laptop (2.2gig celeron, 40gig hdd, 1 gig ram, manufactured in 2003), with Windows XP Home as my OS, and it seems like I need to replace the fan's two main parts since it's sounding like an old car motor and the cpu, according to Motherboard Monitor, recently hit 98 celsius before the machine automatically shut down. The laptop works fine so long as I don't try to do fancy cpu-hogging things like burn dvd's with my Plextor burner, index the entire hard drive's files with MNS Desktop, use Checkdisk's complete set of diagnostics, etc.

I opened the fan area and replacement looks easy enough--is it? Also, I'm waiting for a parts quote from a store, but does anybody know if these Toshiba fan items are expensive? If they are, is there something generic that would substitute for them?

Toshiba software sets the power options and overrides the XP settings, so I'm wondering if (long shot) a download of XP Service Pack 2 has caused the fan to stop working. I suspect the fan is just burning out, but thought it might be worth asking if software conflicts might be behind the problem....

My second question has to do with Motherboard Monitor--I can't seem to get the program to register the fan's rpm even though I believe it's still spinning somewhat. The MM settings are currently Fan 1, with divider at 4, fan type at foward-slash 1, and display at "none" (the only other is "custom"). How, if at all, can I get MM to recognize my fan in this laptop?

Thanks in advance for any help--I'll check back here in a day's time.

Allosaurus

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds