Bsod

Discussion in 'Software' started by gouche, Feb 28, 2006.

1. gouche

gouche Private E-2

Ok, Here's my problem.

Turned on comp (XP Home SP2) today. Got to the Windows logo with the blue loading bar, then got a BSOD. Error message was:
    stop: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x837cf9a0, 0xc0000102, 0x00000000)

Got into recovery console and ran chkdsk which found errors but didn't say anything bout fixing them. Ran the diagnostics on the utility partition(Dell Dimension). Tried to boot to Windows again. This time it loaded up , taking a bit longer than usual mind you.
    In Windows now, however I have no task bar. Also, there is only 22 processes running, usually bout 32,33. Sorry, couldn't tell you what processes are missing.
    Everything else seems OK. Anyone got any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

gouche

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Did you run chkdsk in read-only mode, or a mode that would repair errors such as with the /f or /r switches? (ie 'chkdsk /r')

Of your running processes, is explorer.exe one of them?

3. gouche

gouche Private E-2

No, I didn't put the f or r switches with chkdsk. I'll try that.

Yeah explorer.exe is running.
    My taskbar looks like I'm using auto-hide, but when I go to drag it back up, it doesn't drag! :(

Thanks for the quick reply!

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Yes, I recommend that you run chkdsk /r. If not as a corrective action, then as a preventative one.
    Then, should you still have a problem, you might try the Taskbar Repair Tool.

5. gouche

gouche Private E-2

Hey, ran chkdsk /r. It said it found and fixed errors. Also used Taskbar Repair Tool.
    However I still have no taskbar! And my processes are still only at 22.
    Any other ideas Mada_Milty or anyone else?

gouche

6. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

You could try this:

1. insert your XP installation CD.
    2. Open a command prompt -> hit windows key + r (click start --> run) and type 'cmd' (w/o quotes) and press enter (click ok)
    3. Type 'sfc /scannow' (without quotes) and press enter.

Let it run. This will restore you system files. Then, you could try the Taskbar Repair Utility again.

If that doesn't work....well, hopefully someone better than myself will be around.

7. gouche

gouche Private E-2

Ok, I ran sfc /scannow, and tried the Taskbar Repair Tool again. Still no luck.
    I get an error when I try to restore the taskbar.
    'Run-time error :462
    The remote server machine does not exist or is unavailable.'

Any suggestions?

gouche

8. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

You might try a repair installation. :rolleyes:

That kind of sucks, though. I would wait and see if someone could help you, but if you get impatient, I would try that.

9. gouche

gouche Private E-2

Yeah was thinkin that myself. Wanted to see if anyone could come up with anything else first.

Cheers Mada_Milty.

gouche

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds