XP setup does not detect hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lpontius1, Apr 1, 2009.

1. lpontius1

lpontius1 Private E-2

I inherited an older computer w/ Win2k on it and I want to upgrade to XP. The problem is that when I run the XP cd I get the message:
    Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer.

Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardwar configuration is correct. This may involve running a manuafacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program.
    The computer loads Windows and everything, but I opened the case anyway just to check and verified that there is in fact a hard drive. I also jiggled the cables in case that was the problem.

I still can't install XP, and it's still not recognizing the drive. I read a few other threads that suggested running CHKDSK thru the Recovery Console (which didn't work, I just got the same screen), or adjusting the BIOS. I'm not sure what to adjust in the BIOS, but I couldn't find the drive in there at all. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. IanTheGeek

IanTheGeek Private First Class

First, I doubt that the drive is SATA seeing as it has Win2k on it, but if it IS SATA, you may need to install SATA drivers when the XP install begins (by pressing "F6" at startup). Guessing that it's not a SATA drive, check all BIOS settings, just to make sure that there's not some strange RAID emulation settings on that's preventing XP from seeing the drive. Obviously the drive is functional if you can boot to 2K, so that tells us that the problem is coming from an incompatibility or lacking driver of some sort.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds