Wireless Speed (sudden decrease in connection speed)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LauraR, May 14, 2008.

1. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

All of the sudden, last night, my internet connection slowed down tremendously.

I noticed when I scrolled down at the bottom where the wireless icon was my 'speed' was going anywhere from 54.0 mbps to 38.0 mbps.

I am using the Verizon Fios required rolleyes modem which is an Actiontec.

I called Verizon and talked to a woman who was basically obnoxious and talked to me like i was a complete idiot and ended up hanging up on her. Her answer: your speed test through speakeasy came out fine, so it's not our problem. OH, and the best was 'you could try rebooting and cleaning your cache.' rolleyes

I swear it's the modem. I was piggybacking my Linksys off of the Actiontec until they had to do something to fix my connection and then all of the sudden the Linksys one wasn't coming up as an available network. SOOO, I disconnected because I thought maybe my linksys router was broken or something.

Anyway, what does the 'speed' indicator mean when you scroll over the icon? Is the fact that it's varying so much a problem with the router? I never had the prob with my linksys.

I have XP and just updated last week to sp3.

2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

The speed indicator shows your wireless connection strength and speed. Depending on various interference may make that signal low. Its not usually a router related issue. More of a signal strength issue.

3. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Cman

So, she had me go do a bandwidth test on speakeasy.net and told me that since the speeds were within acceptable limits (which they were at the time), that the sudden drop in speed was my computer. Of course, she had me bring it to within 10 ft of the router. Very realistic, everyday thing, right?rolleyes

The problem is that I don't think it is. It's happening intermittantly, not constantly.

That indicates a problem with either the router or my isp, correct?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds