Cannot boot up Acer Aspire M5800 desktop w/Vista on it

Discussion in 'Software' started by Metalhed, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Metalhed

Metalhed Private E-2

Hi. I've searched for several days now to try & find an answer on the boards but no good. :( The problem is, our Acer Aspire M5800 desktop, running Windows Vista, is refusing to recognize the hard drive and instead asks for a CDROM boot media. I've gone into the BIOS, re-set everything to default, and it still goes to the black screen all the while making a bizarre 'clicking' noise that sounds like the hard drive is not running. The fan works and I've gone thru and made sure all connections were tight, nothing loose. Of course I don't have any operating discs or recovery discs. The system will run through the 'Hit 'Del' to enter BIOS' and then goes to CD-ROM Boot Priority - No Medium.
    The Acer did this before, a few months ago. It recovered and I immediately made a recovery disk on a USB thumb drive. However, when I plugged the USB drive in this time to try and restore the thing, it wouldn't recognize the USB drive.
    Tomorrow at work I'm going to burn a recovery disc from the USB drive and try that.
    Fortunately we have an older Compaq that just keeps on running (although it won't burn CDs anymore) which is where I'm posting from.
    I'm not completely computer illiterate (I've removed malware, installed a CD drive, replaced the !@#$$!! video card in the !@#$#$&!~ Acer-may it's name be cursed forever-and installed memory) but this thing has me stumped. I'm basically writing out of frustration. We paid $800 for this POS, and the NVIDIA GeForce card took a dump after 6 months. I've had it-never, EVER buying a computer from Frye's again, and NEVER EVER buying an Acer or Acer-related product. From now on, it's Dell all the way.
    Hope this keeps someone else from getting burned...and hope someone can throw some info my way. I appreciate your help.

2. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

Sorry to break the bad news to you but hard drives that emit a "clicking" noise are a sign of hard drive failure. Sometimes you can still pull the data off of them before they completely go bad; sometimes not :\

Will another (working) computer see the hard drive's presence?

3. Metalhed

Metalhed Private E-2

Good idea, I'll try to log onto the home network when I get home. I will try the recovery disk, too.
    *gulp* Is it hard to replace the hard drive? Like I've said, I've replaced components in this unit (and on other CPUs) before, and didn't find it too hard. I just hate to throw good money after bad with this unit.
    On reflection, I probably should have started this thread in the Hardware section. Sorry about that. :-/

4. Metalhed

Metalhed Private E-2

Don't know if this helps, but the hard drive is a "1.0 x 750.0 GB - Standard - Serial ATA-300" (got this from the Acer specs page.)

5. thisisu

Not once you've done it a couple of times. Like anything else, it just takes practice until you're completely comfortable with it ;)

Just tells me that it's a SATA hard drive with 750gb capacity. If you decide to look for another hard drive, you're going to want to look for another Serial ATA (SATA) hard drive. The capacity size is more of a preference thing. It's just storage space, the more space, the more documents/music/videos/programs etc you can install (have room) on the computer.

I wouldn't worry about it. Although that would probably be the optimal place to get assistance on installing the new hard drive, if you do decide to go that route.

I would try to get any important data off of it first.

6. Metalhed

Metalhed Private E-2

Thanks for your help. I talked to a guy who teaches computer repair and he said basically what you did, the click of death equals new hard drive. I'm mainly cheesed off about having to spend another $150 between new HD & Windows 7 (cos I'm sure MS will not sell me an upgrade for Vista, since the HD is dead.) I'll go with a Seagate, and beg one of my friends in the IT Dept to pull everything off the old HD, if possible. Well, there's a first time for everything, and looks like I'll be learning how to install a HD. Thanks again. I'll be sure to look at the Hardware threads to make sure I do this right.

7. thisisu

No problem. Good luck ;)

8. Metalhed

Metalhed Private E-2

Dooooooooooooood! it started working again when I re-tried the Windows Vista recovery disk. I let it sit for a week. I was kinda pissed at it, but instead of hitting it, I said, "Let's try this again for $#!7$ & giggles." Well, lo and behold. So the first thing I'm doing is backing everything up; second thing, no one is allowed to use it til I replace the hard drive. So - now that it's backed up...and it won't get shut down til I'm ready to replace the HD - what do you recommend in terms of HDs and actions to take? I've never done this before, so if you recommend I check out a sticky thread, just tell me where to go. ;-) Thanks again for your help!

9. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

If you buy a Seagate hard drive, you can copy the contents and operating system complete to the new drive.(Unless your existing one is a Seagate) If your existing hard drive is a Seagate, then you can buy any hard drive, and it will work- It does not have to be the same size, even, as the Seagate tool will adjust accordingly (Always better if closer to original, for your saved data puroses.
    The Seagate tool can also check out your present hard drive.
    Don't leave it too long, in case.....
    I would download the Seagate Wizard tool and install on existing drive , ready to use, when you have the new drive.

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...toid=d9fd4a3cdde5c010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

10. Metalhed

Metalhed Private E-2

Got a new Seagate drive as you suggested, installed Win7, and am now copying and pasting from the old drive to the new one. I had a major issue with IE9 not allowing me to download - so I said 'screw you Microsoft' and went with Mozilla instead. Now working like a charm. Thanks again.

11. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

We are always pleased to see a problem solved.
    As you found, its so simple if you have the tool -and free software like the Seagate tool makes life easier-

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds