Connecting RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BeerMonkey, Jul 14, 2004.

1. BeerMonkey

BeerMonkey Master Sergeant

Can some one take me through a lesson on how to connect more ram to my PC?
    I have never done it before so it would mean allot.
    Sites would be good aswell.
    Thanks.

2. BeerMonkey

One more thing...
    Do all Motherboards have only 3(THREE) RAM slots?
    I still need to check mine out, hopefully it will have more that 3.

3. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis Moutharrhea

Shut down your computer and take off the side of the computer that is open (that you can see all the stuff in, the other side is just a piece of metal and that is all you see). Then look for a long stick that is like 6" long and is sticking up. It should be connected to the mobo sideways. Make sure that you are going to be using the same type of RAM as you currently are using now (SDRAM and DDR are different!). Then when you have made sure they are the same take the newly bought stick of RAM out. You are going to place the new RAM next to the old RAM in your mobo. Make sure you are putting it in the place that is identical to the old ram. Alright now to put it in you have to make sure you undo the clamps that secure the ram in place. You should be able to just use your figure to move the clips the opposite way. When the clips are facing away from the place to put the ram stick the ram in there and line it up straight and make sure you put it in all the way. Then close the clamps on the newly put in ram and make sure you here a slight click or something to make sure that you have put it in securely. Another way to check to make sure you have put it in securely is to try to take it out with your fingers again. If you can't take it out then you have put it in right. If you it jiggles around and is easy to come undone then you have fastened it correctly and try to make sure that you have it securely fastened in there again. The clamps should lock into the place holders on the ram.

Now that you are done putting it in just turn your computer on. It will automatically detect it and there is nothing to install or nothing to configure. To make sure that you have installed it properly go to the Systems Information window (Control Panel-->System). It should specify how much ram is on your mobo. Make sure that the amount of ram specified is the amount of ram you should have in there. If the amount isn't correct, you have to start over. In the end, this process is fairly simple I just want to put it into detailed writing so that you can understand what you are doing and learn from this. That way when it comes time to do it again some time in the future you don't have to come back here asking again and again.

To answer the question that you just asked, it depends on the motherboard. You can buy motherboards with different amounts of slots but the most common is 3. I have 4 slots but two of them are for DDR and the other two are for SDRAM.

4. TheFrostyOne

TheFrostyOne Private E-2

neonemesis can u tell me how to install a soundcard. Like from going to BIOS to installing the soundcard. Greatly Appreciate it.

5. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis Moutharrhea

A soundcard is a little more tricky since you have to take out one of the ports in the back and then put it into the mobo. Read the manual you got when you bought your sound card and find out where to put it in the mobo since its harder to describe the position to put it in. Then your Windows should detect it and then install the drivers and software from a cd that should have come with it. If it didn't then you have to do a search for your sound card's driver on google. If that doesn't work and windows doesn't recognize the new hardware go to the Add New Hardware wizard in the control panel. I recently installed a sound card and that is basically everything I did.

(Geforce Asylum 256 DDR 8x...hell yeah, rockin those games)

6. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis Moutharrhea

Also make sure your computer is off when you do this. Kind of common sense but just though I would say that just in case.

7. TheFrostyOne

TheFrostyOne Private E-2

I install the soundcard to a PCI slot right?

8. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis Moutharrhea

Depends on what you bought it as. You can either buy a sound card as PCI or AGP. It should say in big letters somewhere on the box. AGP slots are brown.

9. TheFrostyOne

TheFrostyOne Private E-2

Yea I pretty sure its PCI cause its a Zudigy 2 ZS. I think I got the idea to install the soundcard.

1. I go to my BIOS and turn off my on-board sound.
    2. Turn off computer and take every plug thats connected to the computer.
    3. Open the Case look for the PCI slot.
    4.Unscrew the screw to open PCI slot.
    5. Put in the Audigy 2 ZS and screw the screws tightly.
    6.Screw back the case.
    7.Turn on a computer and install the Drivers.

Did I miss anything. Thx.

10. Snuffles

Snuffles Private First Class

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't actually think you need to do anything with BIOS. If it works like upgrading integrated video, then windows should do all the work for you. I would check your manual. If you built the system yourself, I beleive that windows will do it for you. But I do know (unfortunatley) that on some of the older emachines...oh god I hate emachines, not my system at least... you had to change some of the onboard jumpers. AGAIN CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG!!!! ^_^

11. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis Moutharrhea

Nope it sounds like you got everything right, enjoy your new soundcard!

12. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis Moutharrhea

I believe you are right. In fact, now that you mention that I do believe that I didn't have to tinker with the BIOS to install mine. I think windows detects it automatically. I can't believe I forgot to say that :rolleyes:

13. Snuffles

Its okay, not EVERYONE can be be perfect. I just have to live with the fact that I am. ::sob:: ^_^ Yeah, the only reason I mentioned this is because every time I try and overcomplicate a hardware upgrade install with BIOS and system manuals, it always becomes a pain that never works. So just let the idiot box you paid lots of money for do it for you.

14. TheFrostyOne

TheFrostyOne Private E-2

15. Snuffles

Well, for what you paid for it, the card should buy itself for you, deliver itself to your house, install itself, and troubleshoot itself if it doesn't work. Actually, I would try not messing with BIOS first, try the simplest method, and then try the BIOS method if it doesn't work.

16. TheFrostyOne

TheFrostyOne Private E-2

I'll try installing it without touching the BIOS. Wish me luck on my first time opening and touching my computer inside. LOL Hope I dont break anything.

17. flip

flip Private First Class

yes you should turn off the onboard sound if you are going to install the audigy.

18. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis Moutharrhea

I read the description for that package and in the software that is included it said "diagnostics and drivers" which means it should configure itself once you load it.

19. TheFrostyOne

TheFrostyOne Private E-2

O man I forgot to say that I didnt built my computer myself. Its actually a Sony Vaio Rs-420 if that can help if I should touch my BIOS.

20. BeerMonkey

I was hoping to leave the 256MB stick in there and just add more..
    I have an old computer that has 223MB of RAM and i want to add it in the new comp.
    And if the new comp has on stick of 256MB RAM(dont think so), and 2 more slots open im in luck.
    What does the following mean: 256 DDR SDRAM memory
    Does it mean i have both DDR and SDRAM?

21. BeerMonkey

UGH...
    I just found out how many slots i have...2
    There all all these wires in the way...ugh...

22. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

23. TheFrostyOne

TheFrostyOne Private E-2

No not all Mobo have only 3 ram slots. For instance I have which allows me to have a man of 2 gigs of ram.

BTw sry to hijack ur thread.

24. BeerMonkey

I read somewhere i can aloso have a max of 2GB of ramdom access memory.

25. TheFrostyOne

TheFrostyOne Private E-2

Alright guys. I diable my soundcard and did everything right. The computer detects my soundcard and everyhting perfect. 1 problem I hear no sound. When i Go diagnostic to see if everything is right it pass. Then when I test speaker it works but hear a very loud static sound. plz help

26. fleppen

fleppen Gumshoe

1. Do you have onboard sound?
    -> if you don't know, check in the BIOS and disable it when it's enabled.
    2. Have you tried a different PCI slot?
    3. Have you checked the cables from your speakers?

27. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

The vast majority of boards have 3 memory slots. Moderately high-end and enthusiast boards often have 4, and low-end and OEM boards are known to have only 2. Very low end boards or mini-ITX boards can have only 1 slot. I've seen some server boards with as many as 6. As dual channel becomes popular, it is more and more common to see 4 slot mobos.

Most mobos today do not support single sticks with more than 1GB of RAM, and Windows 2k/XP does not support more than 4 GB of RAM (some server editions of Win2k and Win2k3 support up to 8GB, 32GB, or 64GB of RAM -- the 64-bit Datacenter Server 2k3 supports up to 512 GB!).

28. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

SDRAM means Synchronous Dynamic RAM.

Dynamic RAM (DRAM) is a low-cost type of RAM that requires the electrical charges to be constantly refreshed by the system. Memory cannot be accessed while this refresh cycle occurs. Static RAM (or SRAM) does not require this periodic refreshing, but is much more expensive to produce. Typically, L1 cache is SRAM (anywhere from 4 KB to 128 KB), and L2 cache may be SRAM, may be DRAM, or may be a combination of SRAM and DRAM known as Enhaced DRAM (EDRAM)

Synchronous means the clock cycle of the DRAM and the clock cycle of the system are synchronized together. All system DRAM has been synchronous since the time of the Pentium II. Prior to that, systems had use asynchronous RAM (the RAM clock wasn't synchronized to the system clock) known as FPM RAM (fast page mode) and EDO RAM (extended data output). You can get higher speeds with synchronous RAM because its behavior is predictable. [SRAM is also available iin synchronous and asynchronous flavors.]

DDR means double data rate. Unlike most performance enhacements in the PC business, DDR RAM doesn't send twice as much data. Instead, it send the data twice as fast. To the system, the clock cycle looks like an oscillating wave. The voltage goes up and then down, and then starts a new cycle goin up again. In SDR (single data rate) RAM, the data is transferred on the rising pulse of the clock. In DDR RAM, the data is transferred on both the rising pule and the falling pulse of the clock. Thus, DDR RAM actually does two distinct actions for every clock cycle.

29. Snuffles

No, don't touch the BIOS. Just plop in the card, plug in the machine, fire it up, put in the disk, and you should be golden.

30. TheFrostyOne

TheFrostyOne Private E-2

I feel like a moron. I just didnt uncheck the mute to all option.....Opps sry. I'm very impress with the sound. i'm just blown away by how much the sound is improved. Anyways is it weird that even with my onboard sound disable or enable my Audigy 2 zS still work perfectly?

31. Snuffles

Not at all. While I have never installed a new sound card, all the Graphics cards I have installed onto a board have always worked perfectly without touching the settings to disable the onboard. The principle is the same with Sound Cards in my mind, same type of expansion, different sensory experience. Enjoy the Audigy, maybe I might get one someday when I can justify 100 dollars for better sound. ^_^

32. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

My ears can't tell the difference between modern AC'97 and Audigy. And AC'97 doesn't use Creative Labs drivers!

33. Snuffles

Yeah, I know what you mean. There comes a point that, unlike graphics, I just can't tell the difference between sound outputs. Don't let an audiofile hear me say that though... I know some people that SWEAR they can hear the difference between really good and mediocre sound cards.

34. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Actually, I'm sure they can. Just like I can tell the difference between 75Hz and 80Hz monitor refresh rates. And I see ghosting on some 16ms LCD screens, but none on any 12ms ones. I can also usually tell the difference between nVidia 2D and ATI 2D Windows desktop displays simply by the contrast and brightness levels the adapters tend to use. (nVidia is darker and more green, ATI tends to have better brightness and is more red/blue.)

My eyes are more sensitive than most users. But I can't hear any sound difference over the 3 hard drives, 2 CD drives, and 6 fans. :D

35. Snuffles

Find it a little bit odd that the 2d Windows desktop displays shift towards the company colors of the graphics card in your above statement? I think it is a conspiracy to subliminaly keep people repeat customers. ^_^

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds