Getting Frustrated!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by INeedAGig1210, Jul 13, 2006.

1. INeedAGig1210

INeedAGig1210 Private E-2

Alright, I am a custom computer builder, and have been for awhile. I have had my current system built for a little over a year now and just recently started having some trouble with my video card. I just upgraded from a 128MB Radeon X300SE-Guru to a 512MB Radeon X700.

Now, hear me out. I replaced the X300 for two reasons, it's upgrade time, and I was getting the whole "Thread Stuck in the Device Driver" error and crashes. Reference page here: http://oca.microsoft.com/en/response.aspx?SGD=c8b4d14a-6972-4d78-adce-dd31406aa163&SID=11

Now, I just recieved and installed my 512MB X700 yesterday and I am yet again, having the thread stuck error and crashing to a restart on every game I try to play except for Half-Life 2 and World of Warcraft. I have done the Registry Cleaning and stuff numerous times before replacing/upgrading the card, and I have done it once with the new one already.

Any suggestions, I am pretty damn computer smart and I am kinda scratching my head over here, is there any sort of catalyst so to speak or other device or problem that can be causing this issue?

My system specs are in my sig, thanks.

-Ryan

2. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

even tho you have already said you did, it does sound to me that you had a driver issue with the previous card, and by putting in another ati card, your just using the same drivers. use this utility:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Driver_Cleaner_Professional_d3214.html

to clean the ati driver from your system ,and re-install.

3. INeedAGig1210

Alright, awesome, at least that program is specifically for ATI and Nvidia drivers, I will give it a shot, thanks.

4. INeedAGig1210

Mother ****er, it's still doing it...

5. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Have you run a Memtest on your memory to make sure your ram is not going kaput!?!?!

Also...check and make sure your PSU is not only adequate, but it could be going bad too!!

Just a thought??

Roger

6. INeedAGig1210

MemTest came up clean

7. INeedAGig1210

Well, I decided to check my IRQ assignments, and my video card is sharing IRQ 16 with:

Intel(R) 925X PCI Express Root Port - 2585
    Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM PCI Express Root Port - 2660
    Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 265B
    Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio

8. INeedAGig1210

IDK, I've tried everything 20+ times now, lol.

The thing though, is the problem is very remote. It DOES NOT occur with Half-Life 2, World of Warcraft, or Final Fantasy XI. The games it DOES occur with is Flight Simulator 2004, Simcity 4, and NoLimits Rollercoaster Simulation.

I'm thinking it could be something to do with those games, maybe they arent fully compatible with the new drivers and the .NET framework structure?

Though, it is a random problem now, because the games it is occuring with used to run with no problem at all.

9. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

And did you do this?
    Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Display.
    Click the Settings tab, and then click Advanced.
    Click the Troubleshoot tab, move the Hardware Acceleration slider to None, and then clear the Enable Write Combining check box.
    Click OK, and then click OK.
    Note: This procedure prevents the display driver from programming the hardware incorrectly, but you may lose some display functionality and performance. Although you can increase the hardware acceleration settings higher than None to regain functionality and performance, these settings increase the chance that the issue will occur again. For maximum stability, leave hardware acceleration off.

10. INeedAGig1210

Yes, but I refuse to keep it at none or low, you cant really play a game at 0fps.

11. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Would just keep adjusting until you find the place where it starts to cause problems.:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds