No audio device

Discussion in 'Software' started by parapa05, Dec 26, 2006.

1. parapa05

parapa05 Private E-2

Good day all, This is my first tread, please help me.
    Control panel: NO AUDIO DEVICE
    My computer is a HP pavilion 720n
    bought it brand new almost 2 year a go never done any work on it only up graded memory to 1G.
    Recently got a back door virus ( clean now) I think, this is my computer:
    HP Pavilion a720n Desktop PC
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/prodinfoCategory?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=431077&os=228
    - As per the speakers they are connected properly.
    - The drivers not problem, however after doing a lot of reading I found may be I should update my drive so I went to the homepage ( HP) and AC97.... the problem with this was that my computer would not complete the installation.
    - One thing important to mention is that I have not removed any of the hardware or software and the speaker do work ( ALTEC )
    Any Ideas???:( :eek:

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What error mesage did you get when trying to update the drivers from the HP site?

Also in Device Manager are their any Yellow ! marks, if so what are they by?

and if you only "think" your clean from a virus or spyware, then you may well not be its advisable to run some more quick checks, not just with your own AV but with say these;

http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/ActiveScan.htm
    http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html
    plus this installable one AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5.0.50

if anything is found you may need to run through our whole malware guide here READ & RUN ME FIRST Before Asking for Support then post in the malware forum the attached logs that are requested.

3. parapa05

parapa05 Private E-2

your first question: it tells me that what I'm installing has not passed the window logo testing. after rebooting: microsoft kernel Audio spliter not installed.
    When in computer manager: I selected the unknown device with (!) properties/general it reads: this device is not configure correctly. (code 1) to re-nstall the driver for this device, click reinstall driver, when I try I get the same message: "what I'm installing has not passed the window logo testing"

4. parapa05

parapa05 Private E-2

One more thing: under that unknown device properties/ details: C:\Windows\System32\drivers.lvusbsta, I did some research and found this: Description: lvusbsta.sys is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32\drivers. Known file sizes on Windows XP are 22016 bytes (50% of all occurrence), 19968 bytes, 39424 bytes.
    The driver can be started or stopped from Services in the Control Panel or by other programs. The program has no visible window. File lvusbsta.sys is a trustworthy file from Microsoft. There is no detailed description of this service. File lvusbsta.sys is not a Windows core file. lvusbsta.sys seems to be a compressed file. Therefore the technical security rating is 14% dangerous.

What di you think I should do?

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Thats a common thing in many drivers throwing up that message in "Not passing the windows logo test" just install the drivers anyways.

You have not before this happened re-installed Windows XP did you as I'm finding it tough to get an angle on whats happening but try the below as it seems from you having no Audio Device in the Control Panel a Service is stopped.

Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services > Windows Audio. Make sure this service is set to run. If it's not, right click on this service and select "start". and in Startup Type box select Automatic > apply.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds