Reinstalling Windows

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by quinlad, Nov 16, 2007.

1. quinlad

quinlad Private E-2

Hello,

Apologies if this is the most asked question in the history of majorgeeks, but I'd appreciate some help.

My computer has slowed down and heated up to the extent that I'm ready to start again and reinstall WIndows XP.

I'm told I can store my data on an ipod (it's 80gb, more than the data on my laptop). Is that right? How do I go about doing that?

I'm sure it's easy to store documents, music and photos but I have no idea how to store my Outlook emails and contacts. Any ideas?

I have the installation CDs for my wireless network card, printer, webcam etc, plus Microsoft Word.

I've downloaded other programs too. Can I store those downloaded installation files on my ipod during the reinstall?

Sorry for sounding so idiotic. I'm just keen not to lose any data.

Also, how long should I expect a reinstall to take?

Thank you so much, guys!

Q

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

It makes sense that you can store stuff on the iPod, but I have no idea how to go about it. You Outlook Express stuff is stored in this location:
    C:\Documents and Settings\% your username %\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{ a bunch of number and letters }\Microsoft\Outlook Express
    Or you can do a search for .dbx files. Be sure to search in hidden/system files and folders. And be sure to enable the viewing of hidden and system files/folders also. To do this, open My Computer, click Tools > Folder Options; click the View tab and scroll down the list looking for 'enable viewing of hidden files' and look for 'hide operating system files' and disable it. Then burn the files to a CD, or, move 'em to the iPod. Again, I have no idea how to move stuff to iPod. :eek: I don't have one, and I don't even know how to turn it on or turn up the volume on one. :eek:

3. cuzndupree

cuzndupree Private E-2

Genie Backup is a program that will backup email data as well as other files and folders very easily for re-installation after reformatting. It will create a folder with all the data which you can save on remote drive. After reinstalling you need to reinstall the program and use it to restore the backup data. I used it when I reformatted and it was very easy to use. You also might also want to use a program to backup all your current drivers for easy re-intalllation after reformatting, to save time so you wont have to look for updates and you can be sure you are using the exact same drivers you had before reformatting. I used DriverGuide Toolkit. It will list all the current drivers on your computer and will make a backup in a folder which you can save on your remote drive for re-installation.
    I created my own unattended installation disc with sp2 slipstreamed into it and it took about 40 minutes to install. That is probably as quick as it is going to get. Realistically to get everything installed and updated and configured and working it took me the whole day.
    As for programs you have downloaded you should have saved them to a disc as a backup. No reason to keep them on your hd they are just taking up space.
    If you want to really be sure you don't forget anything make an image of your hd with an imaging tool.

Cuzn

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds