no screen image on laptop

Discussion in 'Software' started by db13, Jan 25, 2006.

1. db13

db13 Private E-2

ok here goes sons laptop HP zd7000 when its turned on it will run but there is no image on the screen just black.he can hook into the tv (somehow?) and you can see the display there but the laptop is still black.we tried the flash light to the laptop screen with no results(didnt see any image),we tried pressing fn f8 (something about switching screens he said?)no results...I`m leaving for work now (midnight shift)and will start again in the morning,just thought maybe some one could give me an idea of whats up....thanks

2. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

What is the operating system?

Does it start in Safe Mode or Last Known Good Configuration (if applicable)?

3. db13

db13 Private E-2

sorry was in a hurry and forgot that... the operating system is windows xp and the laptop works fine ,except the display screen just is just black.He can hook it into his tv and it works on the tv just no image on his laptop screen.

4. mbmadiw

mbmadiw Corporal

This may not help, but it's something that has happened to me.

When you use the Fn F8, keep these things in mind:

1. Hold Fn, Tap F8 once, let go of Fn
    2. Wait 5 seconds
    3. Go back to step 1 and repeat if no change

You may have to do the above process a few times.

I found that I was doing it too fast due to my impatience. Although it may not solve your problem, maybe it'll eliminate the issue of being assigned to the wrong output/monitor.

5. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

You can try Fn F5 also. There should be a image of a monitor in blue on the particular key. If you can see the Bios Screen and then nothing when it boots into the OS, then it is a driver issue. If you cannot see anything on the screen, but can on an external monitor hooked up to the VGA port, then the LCD cable or screen could be the culprit.

6. Insomniac

Was this monitor ever working OK?

If it was, try Last Known Good Configuration. (same menu as Safe Mode etc)

If not, try updating your video card/chip drivers.

7. BrokenArrows

BrokenArrows Sergeant

Does anything show up on the screen as the computer boots??
    If nothing shows there may be a physical error with the screen. It may just be broken.

8. db13

db13 Private E-2

ok im back tried all the above, no good may try to reinstall video card tommorrow but first heres more info about the laptop.... HP zd 7000...intell pentium4 3.40GHz w/HT....17" WXGA+ Wide Viewing (1400x900)...512 MB SDRAM(2X@56MB)....WINDOWS XP HOME...80gb 5400RPM Hard Drive8x DVD+/-RW&CD-RW Combo128MB NVIDIA GeForce FXGo5700...54g 802.11BG w/ Speedbooster....and more on the problem,seems if you turn on the laptop the fan comes on but thay appears to be all...it dosn`t boot up and go to windows until you plug in the external monitor (using TV),it makes no sound or any thing (other than the fan) unlees the tv is pluged in then it boots up and runs thanks

9. Insomniac

Does it start OK in Safe Mode?

10. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Try pressing the reset button on the bottom of the unit. If the LCD does not light up or no display, the cable could be damaged between the base and screen. Time to send it in for repair.

11. db13

db13 Private E-2

it wont run at all with the laptop monitor but plug it into another monitor (TV) and every thing works fine....where is the reset button?

12. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

On the bottom of the case.

13. db13

db13 Private E-2

well thanks all for your help i uninstalled the video card and reinstalled it and it`s working fine now again thanks for all your help

14. db13

db13 Private E-2

wll its back ,I ran the laptop most of the morming,virus scans,defrag etc.turned it of. my son comes home turns it on no screen.Any ideas ?

15. db13

db13 Private E-2

well had it working again this morning... uninstalled video driver ,reinstalled worked fine all morning untill about ten minutes ago,shut it down closed the lid tried to restart no screen.I hooked it back to the tv turned on laptop... black screen with....the computer could not be restarted from previous location because the restoration data is corrupt...now i cant get the laptop screen on,it still comes up on the tv and every thing works fine but no laptop screen

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds