Connecting Front Panel USB

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Triaxx2, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

I've found that my computer has run out of USB ports. I have four ports in the rear and two in the front. The front pair have an odd configuration that I can't find proper references on connecting. Each wire contains four pins, and they are labelled: Port +, Port -, (+), and (-).

The MSI mother board is labelled as follows:

|Blank|GND|4+|4-|VCC|
    |o|GND|5+|5-|VCC|

Can someone help me decipher the process of connecting the ports? I don't want to damage the ports, and I REALLY don't want to damage the motherboard.

2. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

Bump.

3. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi,

I can't decipher the data lines but, + = Vcc and - = gnd. The blank is the Key and usually matches a plugged hole in the plug. Some are 4 pin so go below the blank. The pins are usually pretty standard except for that. Port + is the data going one way and the Port - is the data going the other way. Switching the data shouldn't damage anything, but would prevent the port working. The two connectors colored wires will match when connected correctly. Maybe this will get you going. Someone else may have the exact info you need. GUYS?

Good Luck, Jim

4. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

Thanks. I wish the pins weren't seperated, but they are. I guess I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

5. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi again Triaxx,

Had another look at your original post. Post+ just might correspond to 5+ and Post- to 5-. Never saw any labeled that way but who knows.

More good Luck, Jim

6. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi again<

Duh! My 80 yr old brain finally kicked in. They are listing both halves of the connectors which are the same. Don't know why, but they called the data pins 5 on one side and 4 on the other.

More Luck, Jim

7. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

It worked perfectly. Thank you very, very much.

8. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi again Triaxx,

Sorry I didn't see it sooner. My Rememberer is faulty, but my Forgetter is working 100%. Thanks for the thanks.

Jim

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds