SATA to Molex?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BulletSponge62485, May 27, 2009.

1. BulletSponge62485

BulletSponge62485 Private E-2

Ok, not sure if this can be done, so basically, I am just looking for a second opinion.

Here is the problem: I have a new hard drive that I need to put into a machine. The new hard drive does not have a molex power connector. The machine only has molex power connectors. So what I need is a cable that is molex male on one end, and SATA female on the other.

Here is my solution: Is it possible that I can take a cable that has a molex male connector and somehow splice it together with a SATA cable with a female connector?

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

3. BulletSponge62485

Oh I know that they can be bought, I am asking, can they be made? If so, do you know of a guide? The issue I am seeing is that the molex has 4 cables running into it, the sata has 5...

4. BulletSponge62485

I was just looking at some pictures and I think I have an idea in mind. Hopefully this won't shock me... :)

5. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Hopefully your PSU is a good one and can take a short circuit. ;) Make sure of the pinouts as I don't know if your HDD has power protection, if any do for that fact.

6. BulletSponge62485

We will soon find out... :-D

7. BulletSponge62485

It works. I spliced to cables together and it works like a dream!:cool

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds