Looking for a good camera?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by devistation, Jun 15, 2006.

1. devistation

devistation Private E-2

Hey everyone, I'm looking for a good camera, this is what i basically want:

Very Sharp Images, Good Quailty...

Rechargeable Battery

Slick(looks cool)

budget 500$

I'm not to certain, but that new CyberShot from Sony is looking pretty good.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

3. devistation

devistation Private E-2

That's cool, but I think if it was between that or cybershot i would get the cybershot..considering there thes same price :eek: anymore?

4. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

I would suggest a Canon Digital Ixus 65, or Canon PowerShot S70.

Sony also make some good models, like the Cyber-Shot DSC-W7, but what I don't like about Sony is that they use proprietary Memory Sticks, rather than Secure Digital/MMC etc.

Most important things to check are,

Do you get rechargeable batteries, or do you have to buy them?

StartUp time. Some digital cameras are painfully slow to start.

How much optical zoom does it have? Ignore digital zoom, it's a gimmick. Optical zoom is what you should look for, and the more, the better.

Does it have a decent view finder? Some cheaper models don't, and rely on the LCD screen only.

Is the LCD screen viewable in bright sunlight?

5. WobblesRArt

WobblesRArt MajorGeek

I have last years model, a Fujifilm FinePix S7000 12.2 Megapixel with 19x 6x optical 3.2 digital zoom….Fujifilm stop making it thought, I found the S9000, 9.0 Megapixel, with 10.7 optical 2x Digital zoom at cameras . com for $399….they both use the AA battery’s, and I think AA are the way to go…….wobbles

6. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

I totally agree and have researched this quite a bit as I'm looking to replace my Olympus digital and upgrade. The DSC-H5 is an awesome camera for it's money with great 12x optical zoom and 7 pixels. I can't wait to get mine once I've cleared a few medical bills.

7. DavidGP

I love the sony cameras for their quality of pics, but after dealing with digital imaging and film based photography in my last job, the most unreliable digital media format card was the memory stick, not as touchy as CF tho, whos female to male pin connections where also fairly unreliable... best of the cards were SD/MMC and xD... so I tend to stick the the more reliable formats and in turn the cameras that use them.

So Fuji, Olympus and Canon are my favs.

Just my observations and long discussions in meetings with the major photo developing companies on various cards and issues that arrose with high end photo finishing digital laser printers ( aka Fuji Frontiers ).

I would check out
    http://www.dpreview.com/
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/
    http://www.dcviews.com/
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/
    http://www.dcresource.com/

all good review sites.

8. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Halo...why are the memory sticks considered unreliable?

I'm an Olympus and therefore a card user to date. Certainly had no problems with that, but have found that over a few years the quality of my Olympus has deteriorated, which is really disappointing as it is my hobby and I'm a bit of a perfectionist in it (undestatement of the year!). At least I believe it to be the camera and not the card ?? Maybe I shouldn't have dropped it on the rocks at the coast HAHA. (Actually it deteriorated gradually and starting before that little mishap!)

9. DanMan

DanMan Private E-2

I would reccomend the Canon you can afford. You can buy less expensive cameras with the same megapixel sizes and such but you're not getting the glass you get with Canon and the image is in the glass. If you want sharp photos(especially in lower light conditions) you want bright glass.

10. devistation

devistation Private E-2

Thanks for the replies, I think i'm going to get the Canon, just because I want my images very sharp. Good for photo manipulation.

11. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

The Canon S80 is only a 3.6 x optical zoom.

The Canon digital Ixus 65 is only a 3 x optical zoom

The Canon S70 is only a 3.6 optical zoom.

The Sony DSC-H5 is a 12x optical zoom.

If you want to take zoomed in shots, these other cameras just ain;t gonna rock it. If you have a digital zoom on them and are relying on that, you are going to lose clarity a lot.

Good review of the DCS-H5 here.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/sony/dsc_h5-review/index.shtml

12. Insomniac

Optical zoom is not the only factor to consider in a camera, just one of many.

For most people, 3x + is sufficient, and cameras with a lot of zoom can be difficult to use fluently.

The Sony uses proprietry memory stick, which is expensive, and only works in Sony products.

The Sony doesn't have the same colour balance. The Canon Digital Ixus and PowerShot take better photos and look more natural.

It's a good camera, but to dismiss the others because they don't have the same optical zoom isn't an accurate comparison.

13. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

I want to offer up the Canon Powershot S3 IS for debate.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_s3-review/

Again still a 12x optical zoom (becuas that is a feature i specifcally require amongst others, which this also covers), but it takes memory card,not memory stick, unlike the Sony.

Comments?

14. Insomniac

This is subjective, and my opinion only, but if I had other Sony products, and/or wasn't concerned about the Memory Stick media, I would go for the Sony out of the two.

Otherwise, I would go for the Canon, although they are a bit miserly.

They only supply alkaline batteries, so you will need to factor in the cost of NiMH rechargeables and charger.

Sooner or later, and this applies to all cameras, you will need a bigger memory card too.

The Sony has a bigger LCD screen, which is great, but it will probably use up battery power quicker, and you may get prints all over it from holding the camera. (it makes holding the camera much harder)

The Canons swivel and tilt lens is very neat though, and comes in handy.

If I was buying a digital camera again, I would at least physically go to a store and check the starting times, how intuitive the menu is, and how easy the LCD is to see in bright sunlight, before deciding. (that was something I didn't do with my first camera, and ended up being a BIG mistake)

It's hard to say, and the more I look at the Sony, the more I like it, but you would really need to hold and fiddle with both before making a decision.

For me, I don't have any Sony products that take Memory Sticks, and hate proprietary media, so personally I would go for the Canon.

15. DavidGP

@Lev, we had a meeting one year to review the digital, be that various cameras ( quality of printed image mainly ), the cards and our machinery... out of two long days one of the main issues to come out was data transfer, three things were highlighted.

1. CF cards did have a tendancy due to the male/female pin arrangment from card to camera, to become unreliable over time due to pulling the card in and out.. bent pins to dirty contacts on the card due to the hold getting mucky.

2. Sony memory sticks in our observations and this was mainly with our machinery ( £150k+ Fuji digital photo printers ) that data transfer from the cards was unreliable... worked some times didnt others, never really worked out what the problem was.. then I did leave working their just after that... but I suspected it was either the data contact points ( fairly small area ) or the way data was saved onto the card... which leads me onto the point Insomniac makes over proprietry...

All other card systems worked fine...

3. Worst offender and I hope that they changed it now was HP branded cameras as they had a funky JPG format ( they didnt comply with the JPG standards ) which if you were to take your pics into be printed on the high street... the machines couldnt read it! to be read you would have to copy the pics from the card/camera to a PC, load the images into a photo app and re-save them into standardised jpg format. ( note: would print from your home PC fine )

all just based on the 6+ years I had to deal with digital imaging and retail photofinishing equipment, may be very different now as I dont work in that industry ( I could find out tho ).

As to quality of printed images, again not from home printers but commercial photofinishing equip, this was something I did on a regular basis... get hold of new digi cams and test the quality of images from 6x4 to sizes of 10x8 ( only did those sizes as those generally were ones most would want ), the cameras I found offered the best quality image, were Olympus, Canon, Fuji ( but mainly the high end of the range compact range and S1/S2 Pros ), Pentax.... sadly Pentax cameras dont look attractive and yes Sony ( Sony have a very good low shutter lag time in most of their cameras, generally 0.1x of a second.. doesnt sound alot but can make the difference to a good shot and a blurred shot )

Cameras with xD cards are generally my choice as I find them ultra reliable, sadly they still havnt exploited xD as much as they said they would size wise, took longer than I was told to release 2GB xD cards using the MLC tech which can go alot higher, with digital cameras ( compact wise ) getting into double figures in regards to MP, we now need the card storage capacity to go with this.

But do check when looking for a camera, its shutter lag time!

16. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Wow! You know what I love/hate about this place? There's always somebody who knows a ton of stuff about what you thought you knew a ton of stuff about lol. I say love/hate because I love that I can come here and get sound advice on pretty much everything. (Did I really see a thread about tumble dryers recently??). I hate it (hate is too strong a word,because it's a big positive really) because just when I think I know what I want to get, I realize there's a whole 'nother world out there I yet need to research before making a fully informed purchase ;) Head spin :eek:

So, I've looked more into this, and thanks for the advice guys. Olympus' equivalent (the SP500) falls short in a lot of areas...plastic body, no image stablization (and at my age you start to need that!) and the Fuji S5200 also lacks image stabilization, amongst other features for a much higher price. So I'm kinda sitting with the Canon right now after reading your experiences with the storage media.

I already have rechargeable NiMH batteries and charger, so that's not a cost factor. The display is larger than the Olympus I currently have, so even though smaller than the Sony, it is bigger than what I'm used to. Good point about viewing the display screen in bright daylight first...I have such issues with that on my Olympus (and my cell phone come to think of it).

Question @ Halo: through all your trials, is there a specific make of storage media you would recommend? So many choices and so many reviews. Be nice to have a viewpoint from someone I know has the knowledge and experience with them :)

17. DavidGP

Funny enough Lev the screen aspect and sunlight that Insom' brought up was why my parents have bought a new camera ( 1st Cam is the Olympus mju DIGITAL 600... very nice camera and takes great pics, does have a vast menu list of options, and the new camera from this week with viewfinder is the Canon Ixus 60 ) basically my mom doesnt like looking at the screen to take pics as she prefers the old viewfinder method, sadly many cameras now dont come with a viewfinder, they just have the screen, but Canon are one make that do have in the majority of their small compacts a viewfinder as well as screen.

Storage media I would go for is either SD or xD, both are small and robust, never noted any problems with either.

18. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

They are both nice cameras but I really want a better optical zoom as the 4x I have just isn't sufficient for the type of photography I do. It took me a while to adjust from a standard SLR to a digital LCD viewfinder display, but I love it now. WYSIWYG :)

I'm with you on the preference of SD and xD, but I was actually wondering if you had a preferred choice of SanDisk, Transcend, Adata etc make. I understand it is best to get a 60x + speed on these?

19. DavidGP

Ohhhhhh, I stick to Fuji, SanDisk or Lexar for both xD and SD and Olympus ( xD ).

Titbit of the Day
    Small little fact is that SD was developed by SanDisk, Panasonic and Toshiba.

and xD, developed by Fuji and Olympus.

which always leads me to get the original devs products, over 3rd parties.. but thats just me.

20. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Thanks Halo :D

PS: I had to look "titbit" up to check...I always thought it was "tidbit" but it can be either ;)

21. DavidGP

funny enough I did pause while typing that word, thinking is it right or wrong, swapped between the two variences about 10 times before, going "ahhhhh blow it, that one will do.. Lev will correct me if I got it wrong" ;)

So is it a SLR look alike Digi your after or a full SLR digi? ( differences being the look alike have fixed lenses and the full have interchangable lenses ) also what sort of price band?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2006
  22. Strange1

Strange1 Staff Sergeant

Irealize it is a personal preference when buying a camera. I've done a lot of research (with my limited knowledge) and hove come to the decision that the Sony DSC-H2 is my next camera. I believe the 12X opt zoom and 6Meg Pix for $300.00 is the best for me.

Jack

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds