IE7 info bar script/ActiveX warning when open local XHTML file

Discussion in 'Software' started by mjnc, May 22, 2008.

1. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

May 22, 2008

Yesterday, when previewing an XHTML file in IE7, I got an Info Bar warning:

I tried other files and got the same response on every one.
    The files are all XHTML 1.0 with either a Strict or Transitional doctype.
    None of the files have any scripts. Some have internal CSS and some external. All of the files pass validation at the W3C online validator.

I guess that this is related to the Service Pack 3 update? :confused

Is there a way to change the security settings, maybe for Intranet, so that these warnings will be turned OFF?

Naturally, there is no problem when I view them in Opera or Firefox.

Appreciate the help.
    mjc

2. PC-XT

PC-XT Master Sergeant

IE has intranet security settings in the Security tab in its options dialog box. It sounds like this was set to high security setting. After clicking the intranet icon, you can choose Custom Level (or something like that) to see ActiveX scripting settings along with others. (Actually, I looked that up in IE6. I don't use IE on this computer, and so I haven't updated it, but I think it's about the same for version 7?)

3. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Hello PC-XT.

Thanks for the response.

When I first began 'computing' back in 1986, the lab at the community
    college was all IBM PC's. I don't remember if they were actually XT's
    but they all had two 360K floppys and of course the Intel 8088 8 bit
    4.77Mz CPU. Most had 512Kb of RAM but a couple had 640Kb.

I Have Actually Found A Solution To The Info Bar Problem. The IE
    security settings were Not set to a high level. Just to make sure, I
    reset the Internet zone settings to Default, which is medium, and then
    checked those settings against the recommendations on the MG page for
    malware protection. The default for the Intranet zone is medium low.

The solution is to insert a Mark of the Web comment into the XHTML file
    immediately after the Doctype.

I'm using the generic version:

<!-- saved from url=(0014)about:internet -->

The following document covers the issue pretty well:

Mark of the Web

HOWEVER, I still do Not know why this began happening. I routinely
    preview my XHTML pages in IE, Firefox and Opera and this never occured
    before. It just began after installing the XP SP3 update.

Thanks,
    mjnc

4. PC-XT

PC-XT Master Sergeant

Glad you found the answer. Those service packs sometimes increase enforcement of rules like that.

Those IBMs sound more like the original PC rather than the XT (which stands for something like eXtended Technology.) Although they could have been early XTs. XTs usually came with a hard drive and one floppy, I have an XT with 640K RAM, and a PC clone made by Epson with 512K and 2 floppies. The clone has a whopping turbo speed of 8MHz! lol

5. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

That's the way I remember the XT but I wasn't sure about those lab machines.

About that same time, my Dad got a Compaq Deskpro with an Intel 16 bit 8086 processor running at 7.14 MHz. It came with Compaq DOS 2.12. I still have the Operations Guide which has a copyright date of 1984. That was the first computer I used, except for the ones at the school. I learned BASIC on that machine and did some of my homework with the edlin editor. What a trip. :wave

6. PC-XT

PC-XT Master Sergeant

I remember EDLIN, the LINe EDitor. I used to use it to write special code because it could handle control characters well. It doesn't seem to work with Windows, but EDIT handles those characters pretty well. I started programming for myself on a PC-XT with DOS 3.30 and BASICA 3.20. Before that, my mom showed me how to program a Texas Instruments TI-99/4A in TI Extended BASIC. It had graphics tricks like sprites and character redefining.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds