Microsoft Excel issue

Discussion in 'Software' started by mindnmuscl2, May 31, 2005.

1. mindnmuscl2

mindnmuscl2 Private E-2

Hi,
    I am experiencing a strange issue with microsoft excel. I currently have office2000 SR-1 package with excel as one of the applications.

Recently when I click on a saved spreadsheet on my desktop or try to open a saved spreadsheet from a disc/USB key the spreadsheet opens but none of the columns or data appears. The toolbar(s) appear at the top and the framework for excel is there but no spreadsheet or data visible. Most of the toolbar tasks which I use(such as "print preview", etc.) are "grayed" out and will not work.

This happened after I tried to open one spreadsheet from my desktop and it froze my computer. It was a general worksheet with just data, no macros, opened hundreds of time previously. I had to go to task manager and close the excel application since it was not responding. From that point till now, no excel spreadhseet I have saved will open with data.
    However, and here is the weird part, if I choose to open a new spreadsheet, it opens ok, with all the columns visible. If I try to transfer data from one of my "invisible" spreadsheets to a new excel sheet it will perform what I want but will not show the data once saved.

In trying to self-diagnose the issue, I took the usual route, right clicked on the properties of the saved file(s) in question to make sure they were not marked as 'hidden". I also selected the option to "repair" excel application to see if maybe some unknown piece of excel was deleted in error from one of my standard virus/adware sweeps.

I put in the office2000 disc when promoted to see if I can re-install the missing piece for excel, but nothing new got added from its repair work.

I have developed a workaround which has fixed the issue, I can right click on the spreadsheet , go to "open" and when the box comes up, I put in "all files" in type of files and it will open my spredsheet with the data visible.

I know I could probably go to the microsoft update pages and find excel, uninstall my version and reinstall it.

I just wanted to put this out there to see if anyone has had the same thing happen and what soultion worked for you.

Appreciate any and all help.

thanks
    mindnmuscl2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds