Hardware Interrupts causing goofy audio?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Banyon, May 10, 2007.

1. Banyon

Banyon Private E-2

I just got done reinstalling Windows about an hour ago. After installing my sound driver (same driver I've used every format for a year, no issues), and installing winamp, I noticed a weird audio problem.

Occasionaly it sounds like someone is messing with my audio on a turn table or something (every got it stuck where you hear the same noise over and over... like that but a lot faster).

I opened Process Explorer by Sysinternals to check my processes, and I noticed when there is an audio glitch, the "Interupts" process skyrockets in CPU use...from like 2% to 55%. Not sure what this would mean.

I'm guessing it has something to do with it, but I don't know what. This format I used a custom WinXP disc I made with nLite.

Here are specs

Windows XP Pro SP2
    Athlon XP 2200
    GeForce 6600Gt AGP
    Realtek AC'97 onboard sound

I've had this computer for over a year, and I don't remember ever having this issue. I had a couple other audio issues, but that was a old buggy driver I updated.

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I suggest that it could solve the problem, if you uninstall winamp, then the ac97 driver,- then reinstall ac97, and check it before installing winamp again.

3. Banyon

Banyon Private E-2

Did that, even used the latest driver... still having issues.

I have a feeling it has something to do with the windows install because I've started having other issues as well (about to post in software forum).

4. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

It could well be your custom installation disc , and nlite, as I had a problem with one, and had to remake it. You might have to do it the long way (normal).

Just in case it is a simple file corruption, why not run CHKDSK /R, OR , SFC /SCANNOW TO SEE IF IT WILL CORRECT IT ?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds