Desktop icons missing

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Jun 21, 2008.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I had another thread going here http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=162496 and that issue has been solved, but these two threads are for the same PC. The reason I did the repair install in the first place was because all the desktop icons have disappeared, as has access to the control panel. I was hoping the repair install would fix the problem of no icons. The wierd thing is, is that I was doing some malware removal, and things were going really well. I had icons, I had access to the control panel, I had successfully re-enabled the task manager, and we had smiles all around. After finishing a scan (A-Squared IIRC) I rebooted. Now no icons. WTF?!?!?!
    Any ideas? Anyone?

Thanks.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Here's a screen shot of an error I get when trying to open My Computer or the Control Panel (and many other things) from the Start menu....

Attached Files:

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Thanks. I'll give it go and we'll see what happens. I may just back up docs/pics/tunes/etc and format.... it might be easier at this point. It seems that for each problem I fix, two more arise....

5. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Just wanted to thank plodr for sharing this UNBELIEVABLY QUICK and SIMPLE FIX ! ! !

I have ("HAD") this same issue on my XP machine.

THIS, is how I recall things being a few years ago, where so often when I had a tech problem, I could come here and get it FIXED, pronto-rapido! THANK YOU VERY MUCH ! ;) ;) ;)

PS - IS there a similar program for Vista (?), as I have the same issue on that machine as well...

Thanks again, and in advance - Best,
    g...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds