how upgradable are dells?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eric06, Oct 3, 2004.

1. eric06

eric06 Sergeant Major

hey guys, my parents gave me this rig. its a dell deminsion 4600C we bought last august. P4 2.4, 256 (fixin to be a gig) memory. i am wondering how much i can do to dell's in terms of upgrading, for christmas its either upgrading this machine or building one. i just need to put in a new graphics card, i'm getting more memory and a bigger hardrive, and hopefully a cd burner. i am a big gamer. anyways i stray (lack of sleep), is this maching easy to upgrade or am i gonna run into a bunch of trouble? thanks guys.

eric

2. Strogg

Strogg 5-Star Freakin' Geek

seriously, this machine can probably do a lot in terms of upgradeability. the following can be upgraded:

CPU: if you have an 865/875 mobo, it will go up to 3400+GHz. otherwise, 3.06ghz.
    RAM: a gig will work fine
    video card: it should have agp8x. but either way, you can put any agp video card in the market in that thing assuming it has agp
    hard drive: 300 gigs? i think that's the largest right now
    sound card: definitely get something cheap like the av-710. or if you're an eax fan, get an audigy 2 zs. the former is 4x cheaper and 4x as good quality.
    and power supply: 530 watt fortron if you're going to actually get the best of the best

all of the above are actually the best you can put in it TODAY if the conditions are met. with your machine, i doubt you'll have much trouble upgrading, and with the way things are going now, i'm pretty sure that type of machine can still go for a long time.

3. eric06

eric06 Sergeant Major

awsome. that is what i want to head :D .

eric

4. eric06

eric06 Sergeant Major

ok so now when you say i can upgrade the harddrive, i can put a different brand then dell in here right? like if i went out and picked up maxator or something? plus i think this thing can hold two.

eric

5. Wavetar

Wavetar Sergeant

Yes, the hard drive can be any manufacturer you choose.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds