wndr3400 router solid amber power light

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RougeHeiz, Apr 9, 2011.

1. RougeHeiz

RougeHeiz Private E-2

Hi,

Trying to set up the Netgear WNDR3400 router with my Roadrunner modem. I have an ethernet cable running from the router to my laptop.

The laptop shows that there is not any kind of network access--not LAN, not Internet. Needless to say, I am unable to get to the wireless setup.

I notice that the power light on the router is a solid amber (orange). The 2.4GHz radio light is solild green, the 5GHz radio light is solid blue, the LAN light if off, the wireless light is solid amber, and the four ethernet port lights are all solid green (I am using one port to connect to my laptop).

I tried resetting the router several times. I tried power cycling the modem, router, and laptop several times. Nothing worked. It just seems to me that the Netgear router is dead on arrival.

Is my suspicion correct? Or are the other possibilities?

Thanks!

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

The Green for 2.4ghz and Blue for 5ghz are perfect and normal, the orange light is a bit worrying as it should turn to green in less than 1 minute, and if you have powered it off a few times and also reset to factory default a few times I would suspect the unit is indeed faulty, so exchange for a new one. (the Netgear manual on pg 32 also confirms this HERE)

Just as a thought, have you plugged in a Ethernet cable from PC to router and tried to access the routers control panel, then maybe try a router firmware update? but as its likely new why should you go through these motions.

3. RougeHeiz

RougeHeiz Private E-2

Hi DavidGP,

Thanks for the reply and confirming my suspicion.

I have tried plugging in an ethernet cable from the PC to the router, and the PC didn't even "see" the cable, so it's as if the router was not there.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds