Internet Light on Router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sh@dow, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Sh@dow

Sh@dow Private E-2

I was wondering if anyone knew, is it normal for the "i" or internet light to blink at a fast pace on my Netgear Router if I am not actually browsing anything?

The Wireless Light is not blinking, so it cant be someone hacking into my router. The Lan Light also isn't blinking, which means my computer isn't performing any browsing actions.

On the Broadband Modem, only the RXD or Receive Data Light is the one that is blinking, but at a somewhat slower pace than the Netgear.

Is it possible that someone is leeching "broadband" for their own use or something?

2. nitecrawler

nitecrawler Guest

Have you secured your wireless network with WEP (wired equivalent privacy) or WPA (wi-fi protected access) or are you running your network unsecured?

Have you disabled the broadcasting of your SSID?

The internet or WAN (wide area network) light on your netgear router should be blinking in order to confirm that your LAN (local area network) has access.

To enter your routers configuration setup at the WAN interface, open your web browser and type in 192.168.2.1 into the address bar and hit enter.
    this should bring you to the log in page in which you will be required to enter the default password (should be something like 'admin' or 'netgear' or similar).

find it here http://www.phenoelit.de/dpl/dpl.html.

Once inside you should be brought to a page that lists all your set up configs, which also includes a section that informs you of the client PC's that are currently connected to your wireless network (this will tell you if any of your neighbours are accessing your network on the sly, and should help put your mind at ease).

There should also be a 'security settings' page tab, that will allow you to set your security settings for your wireless network.

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/wireless_secure.htm

http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101379.asp

Regards....

3. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

Since you Wireless and LAN light are not indicating traffic, you can assume that it is Not an Active Trojan in your system.

If you are using a Cable Internet connection, it is a common behavior.

Cable Internet is using parallel local connection. I.e. all your neighbors are on the same line, so there is constant traffic passes by the door. If you are using a cable/DSL Router, you should not worry about it.

4. Sh@dow

Sh@dow Private E-2

will give those security checks a go

thanks both of you!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds