"The Golden Compass" (or "Northern Lights") Movie/ Email warning

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LauraR, Oct 31, 2007.

1. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

So I got this email from someone 'warning' me about Phillip Pullman's novel made into a movie. These books were awesome. I read them about 5 years ago or so and can't wait until the movie comes out. While I was reading the books, not one time did I even think about religion or anti religion.rolleyes

If you've read these books, what's your view?

The email:

2. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Haven't seen "The Golden Compass" - not out here yet, and not sure (doubt) I've read any of Phillip Pullman's books. Reckon I'll probably see it when it comes out too.

Personally, I am strong in my own beliefs and disciplines so not easily led. So, such movies/books you mention, I would take on purely as an "entertainment" value. I only really take notice of anything that I consider has real value or meaning to me, (eg "Schindler's List").

If anyone were to view my extensive library of books, they would see I have a diverse range of interests and readings...but it doesn't mean that I would follow anything that goes against my principles, beliefs, disciplines. I reckon my thinking is probably the same as the average, reasonable person.

3. LauraR

These books were entertaining. If anyone were to read them for some real life lesson, I'm afraid they'd be sorely disappointed.

It always amazes me when groups come out against a movie, CD, book, etc. Haven't they learned that all it is is free publicity?rolleyes

4. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

Yep, 'prolly an email sent by people wanting to get more publicity for his movie. Like L.S., I have my own ideas and concepts, and my own resons for believing them. Enough said. ~ Strangley enough, Athiesm can be weird sort of 'reverse religion', too.

5. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

:DYeah. It's always great free publicity because it only heightens the public's curiousity. There's a similar ongoing rattle regarding the Harry Potter series. Guess some people take things too seriously and can't see past the entertainment aspect.rolleyes

6. LauraR

I would agree on the atheism being it's own religion. I guess I find it despicable that people send out these emails. It's like a modern day book burning. With all the resources out there, I think people have the info to make their own decisions.

Btw, this email was sent to me by someone who loved Harry Potter. Hypocritical much, considering all the devil worship crap about those books?

7. LauraR

haha...yep...just said that up above.:D

8. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

As a kid, I was given two books from dad (which were handed down to him as a kid) - "A Wonder Book and Tanglewood Tales" (published 1851) full of classical myths eg "Gorgon's Head", "The Minotaur", "Circe's Palace", etc and "Grimm's Fairy Tales" (which I reckon is just as old by the look of how its been bound), which I still have. So I pretty much grew up with such stories and always regarded them as good entertainment.

Guess dad knew how to keep me quiet.;):D I always had my head in those books and thoroughly enjoyed the stories.

9. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Agreed. I don't like atheism, it requires too much faith. :D

As for the books and movies, can't say that I ever really detected a christian agenda in Narnia, so an atheist agenda wouldn't turn me off of Pullman's work.

10. Calltaker

Calltaker MajorGeek

*grin* I love these e-mail warnings. I got right in the middle of them when the first Harry Potter Movie came out. I had a lot of free time back then and made sure I had access to a lot of them and started firing back anti-hatred e-mails to all the conservative groups who were advising against it. Now that I am older and busier...LOL

Actually, I have seen a couple trailers for what I believe is that movie and will now have to go see if I can locate the books (I am sure that Wal Mart will have them at some point if the movie hits the theaters).

Anyways, I started writing because I find it interesting that Some people can spend so much time defending a faith that they don't really follow. No offense is meant to anyone here, I am merely pointing out what I have observed over the years.... We all need to ahve faith in something, even if it is that there is no higher power, like the atheists. WHat amazes me is that people will go so far out of their way to put down other people in the name if their faith, but if it really came down to it, not too many of them would walk the walk, as it were.

If all these so-called, hard core conservative christians were so into their faith, we would have an army of volunteers to go over and beat back the infidels in the middle east, wouldn't we????

OK, again, not intending offense to anyone, just trying to express my own observations.

:)

~C

11. dyamond

dyamond Imelda Marcos of Majorgeeks

As a christian myself, I couldnt agree more - I've observed that as well and well quite frankly it makes the real christians (the ones who actually walk the walk) look bad. How I speak is how I live my life.

Actually we do, my friend whos a christan, joined the army and is going to Iraq for what he believes in. Also we have missionaries who go to different parts of the world and "beat back the infidels" so to speak with the preaching of the gospel. My adoptive parents are missionaries and I couldn't be prouder of them.

Neither am I, just stating my own :)

12. darlene1029

darlene1029 A Grand Lady- R.I.P. 06/06/2012

They just pulled all the Harry Potter books off the shelves of the schools here, next I expect book burning gatherings. (Bakersfield, Ca.)

I also received an email regarding The Chronicles of Narnia which my oldest daughter read as a teen, far as I know she doesn't wear a hooded cape and chant around anything. Entertainment (key word).

I also remember people in the 50's blaming superman (new tv show) for their dumba$$ kids trying to fly off a roof.
    Now why wouldn't a kid realize that stuff isn't real? No adult input perhaps!

13. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I've never heard of Pullman but it sounds interesting. A good vs evil plot, moral choices and alternate universes. Hmmm? Sound familiar?:D These people who write these e-mails should look in the mirror first and find out who they really are.

14. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

Correct. That's why, as Laura eluded to, most genuine Christians hate religious types. And yes, there is a huge difference, i.m.o. One 'walks the walk', the other seeks to obfuscate their own, often rotten lives with superficial ritual, appearances and political and economic control. Unfortunately, everyone tends to get painted with the same brush, so to speak.

Nothing wrong with 'talking the talk' (on anything), but if you're not backing it up with actions, and seek to realise your ideals, then you can't believe it. Then it is just talk and rhetoric, i.m.h.o. Not saying any one mindset is right or wrong, but I don't need to be 'religious' to treat others like I would like to be treated, or to extend kindness.

Harry Potter and the like is usually English in origin for a reason. Tall tales and true have a 7,000 year history, at least in the U.K. Druids, witches and so-called 'magic' goes back a long way. To my mind, (some may disagree), it's just part of the ancient fantasy/cultural heritage that is part of English lore.

As for Pullman – well if I view the movie, it would ‘prolly be just out of curiosity more than anything. I have a long, long list of movies I still haven’t seen and would like to see first.

15. LauraR

It is a very good series of books. It actually originated in the UK with the title 'Northern Lights'. As I said, no matter what the author's beliefs...it's entertainment.

I don't have issues, as some have said with those who 'talk the talk, but don't walk the walk'. I have issues with people trying to push their views onto others...no matter what they are. That includes those who live by their beliefs. Good for you (the general you), but they may not be right according to me.

16. Jamiko

Jamiko Sergeant

For me, I always say that you should learn about as many different viewpoints as possible. If your beliefs can be shaken by a simple movie than perhaps your beliefs aren't very strong. I teach my children to have an open mind.

I saw this email as well and it only made me want to see the movie. Perhaps that was the original intent of the email in the first place haha.

17. LauraR

I agree whole heartedly.

:D I wanted to see it originally, but I would say this email made me want to see it even more also. Pretty good marketing.

18. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

I've read the "Northern Lights" trilogy and the "Narnia" series, prefer Narnia.

The "Northern Lights" started out OK but by the end in the third book it seemed to lose its way and disappear into pseudo-biblical passages borrowed from "Paradise Lost" by Milton. The change of direction in the story somewhat spoilt the fantasy element of the series and seemed entirely out of context. I'm certainly not religious and don't view the "Northern Lights" nor "Narnia" as a particularly overtly religious or have religious messages. My view is that both are fantasy fiction.

Some details of the film can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Lights_(novel)#Film

I've now started on the "Raven's Gate" trilogy by Horowitz. I'm an avid reader of fantasy and sci-fi.

19. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

I prefer Eric Flint novels nowdays for SciFi.

I wouldn't qualify Harry Potter novels as demonic in any way, although I haven't read the last 2 books. JKR is a good writer, and I am happy with her success, but in my opinion Harry Potter isn't that original. It is a good read however.

I got the email you're referring to, I have to admit I almost bought into it. The other side, I agree with the late Frank Zappa, censorship is a dark force, used by governments to control their populace.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds