Power Supply Buzzing & Humming Noise, It's driving me insane!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by superstar, May 27, 2008.

1. superstar

superstar Major-Superstar

Hello everyone,

I purchased this power supply a couple of days ago to replace a no name 450watt "Deer" brand psu I had in my system for over 2 years:

Enermax FMA II DXX EG465P-VE 460W V2.2 2Fan 20/24P 2x6P RoHS ATX PS

[​IMG]

Product Info: http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?d...&cid=PS.808

I've been hearing a faint humming sound from inside my pc case since the moment I turned my pc on with the new psu installed. I know for a fact that it's got to be from my new psu because it wasn't there before. It's such a low noise but so present that it's driving me insane. I feel like I'm the victim in that old poem by Edgar Alan Poe going mad over repeated annoying sounds I can't control. I'm going insane here! So much so that I'm actually going to take this psu back to the store this week if I can't find a logical explanation as to why this new psu would do this fresh out the box. Could it be the fact that the psu has two fans? Anyways I actually made a new choice for a different psu which I hope doesn't suffer from a similar humming sound:

Antec EA-500 500W ATX12V V2.0 PSU 80mm Fan 80PLUS ROHS Power Supply

[​IMG]

Product Info: http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?d...&cid=PS.808

My new choice above is actually 80 Plus Certified so it's better for the earth and my electrical bill. I have no idea if it's an all out better choice than the Enermax I have now... Maybe I'm going about this the wrong way? I personally just don't want to risk this humming sound being some sort of defect leading to more problems down the line such as complete psu failure.

What do you guys/girls think?

- Thank You

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I think your second choice is a better PSU anyway. The humming may be from the fans, it may be from some type of vibration. A friend of mine bought a PSU that made a really annoying vibration sound; we pinpointed that it was vibration by pressing down on top of the case right on top of the power supply; you could feel it vibrating. If you pushed on the power supply like you were trying to jam the PSU into the case from back to front (in other words, pushing on the PSU towards the front of the case) the noise would dissipate. The problem was solved by getting longer PSU mounting screws and thick rubber grommets (or O-rings) and mounted 2 grommets on each screw, one outside the case and one inside the case. That killed the sound. Returning the PSU wasn't really an option in this scenario due to the fact that it was mailorder, and downtime was NOT an option esp. for a minimum of 5 days.
    If the sound doesn't seem to be a vibration sound, then there is a chance that it's due to an internal component buzzing which is not a good sign, but it could also be due to the fans. You can check it to see if it is indeed the fans by simply stopping the fans from spinning for a few seconds. You can do this a number of ways; removing all but one screw holding the fan guards and moving it out of the way (with the PSU powered down and unplugged) will provide full access to the fan(s). Simply hold the fan in place for a few seconds when you power on the PC. It won't harm anything or damage anything if you hold it still for 5 or 10 seconds. You can also try removing the PSU from the case and (unplugged from the power while working on it, but keeping it plugged into the PC components) and power up to see if the noise is still there or if it become more pronounced.

3. ScOuT69

ScOuT69 Private E-2

Antec is a good brand of power supply, You will be much better off with that brand.

4. superstar

It's a good brand but I really wanted to use my Enermax psu. Stupid thing... I didn't expect there to be any type of humming. It's really low low low humming. I believe it has to do with the fact that it has dual fans. Because this psu has a fan speed control on it. Everytime I raise it the hum get's louder. So I guess it's something I have to live with if I want to have th extra coolness dual fans can bring. The Antec psu doesn't have dual fans and from what I heard is really quiet. It's very hot in the summer where I'm at so I think a single fan may be something I shouldn't be looking for... So darn I may just have to keep this dual one even tho it's noisy. I don't know... The Antec is 80 Plus Certified so it's good for the environment.:cry

5. zepper

zepper Corporal

The Enermax PSUs like that one aren't particularly sold as super silent (no mention of noise level in the dealer's description is a dead giveaway - even the product page doesn't offer any noise spec - just that the noise level is adjustable with the control and that the noise is low, but relative to what - a Zippy server PSU w/o the fan speed control circuit ;) ...) . Since it isn't sold as low-noise, it's possible he won't cut you a break. Generally the ones with a big 120mm or more fan on the side or whatever magic Seasonic does on the Earthwatts and similar series are quieter - I think the high efficiency (less waste heat) allows the fan to be run at a very low speed most of the time (some fans in some Antec PSUs even go off when the temp is low enough)... If noise is important, you have to do your homework before buying. There should be reviews out there on a similar Enermax even if not the latest version like you have - that design has been around nearly forever.

Besides 80-Plus cert, with the Earthwatts PSUs you get active PFC and full range voltage compensation from around 100 - 240VAC. Makes it a lot more friendly to the power grid as well as fairly insensitive to line-side junk.

.bh.

6. superstar

What the heck is active pfc? I've read some stuff on it but it's way too technical.

7. superstar

Update:

Never mind I read up on active pfc and it sounds good to me! I think I'll be switching to the earthwatts tomorrow. Didn't have a chance to go today. Unless someone can give me a reason not to do so.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds