Hot Hot HEat!!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sleepygamer213, Jul 20, 2005.

1. sleepygamer213

sleepygamer213 First Sergeant

Ok, this scared the poo outta me... I turned my gaming comp on and closed all the tasks i didnt want running, then i started up Battlefield 2, im using MBM5 to check my temps... I was playing for about 5 mins and my CPU Diode rocketed from the mid 50's degrees C to 71-73 degrees C... The MBM5 alarm came on and i closed it and continued playing for a few minutes, then i shut off BF2 and my CPU diode temp dropped from 70 to 50 in seconds.... Heres my sys specs:

AMD Athlon XP 2600+ running at 1.92GHz
    512MB PC3200 Corsair Value Select
    PNY nVIDIA 5200 AGP (not OC'd)
    400watt Generic PSU with Dual Fans
    ASUS CD-ROM
    Maxtor 40gb ATA 133 7200RPM

Ive got 2 fans in the back of my case sucking in air, the 2 fans in the PSU suck air out and i have a homemade vent blowing hot air up (since hot air rises) and the 2 fans sucking room temp air in....

Case Temp is 35C idle with 1 side panel off and pretty much still 35 with side panel on during idle... CPU Socket is 41C idle and CPU DIode is 49-50C idle.

Ill get a pic of my rig up later, my dad has the usb cable in his briefcase :mad: but the camera is at my house...

2. sleepygamer213

Heres a pic!

[​IMG]

3. theefool

theefool Geekified

During idle, the cpu won't be generating all that much heat, during a game or some other process that requires more computer power, will stress the case out quite a bit more. This is normal.

Only real way to cool the CPU down even more, is to buy a better heat sink. Or try different cooling methods..

One thing I use to do with my powerhorse P3 600 computer (which I recently upgraded to a P3 1000) is put a box fan that blowed directly on the computer (with its side panel off))

Now, I have the bright idea of installing the box fan onto the case.

But, unfortunately, I have lent my computer out to a friend. So, that project is put off. For now!

4. sleepygamer213

Ive done that but it makes ALOT of dust in my case (hehe dont ask). For now I just plan on waiting for my water cooling setup.... It should lower my cpu temp from 70's C to probably 50's C...

5. lotk

lotk Private E-2

to be honest with that setup i would get a nice big heatsink like the Sl-97 from Thermalright
    http://www.thermalright.com/a_page/main_product_si97.htm

With a nice 92mm Case fan on top ... should bring cpu tems down a lot

anything is better than stock cooling, or what looks like you have what i used to call "OEM Cheep Sh*t" on top of that cpu. since i burnt out a p3 700 i never trust stock or OEM anymore

6. sleepygamer213

I would get a fan but, ive already ordered the stuff :\ well, ive got a dangerden Maze 4 peltier water block coming so as soon as i get all that stuff setup i should be in the low-mid 30's... man i wish i had air conditioning.... until my watercooling comes im just using a box style fan where my sidepanel goes... drops my temps to low 40's....

Also ive flipped the fan on the heatsink from blow air off the hs to suck air onto it, man it normally blows cool air out but now that it sucks air into it, theres about a 1-2C temp drop....

7. cheater1034

cheater1034 Private E-2

I had a friend who had his p4 temp skyrocket for no reason, his problem was the heatsink bracket.

The heatsink bracket is plastic, check if there's any cracks, or if it's broken, make sure you have thermal grease on your heatsink, those are the only problems i could think of.

8. sleepygamer213

Ive got thermal grease on the HSF and theres no cracks in the clip i popped it off, checked it and then put it back on and made sure it was secure. So far, im very enthusiastic about my watercooling setup because one of my brothers friends gave me a 3 120MM fan Black Ice Xtreme III radiator! Giggidy Giggidy Gig-I-dy! Ive already mounted it to the top of my case so now all i need is my order to come in the mail!!!! With a tri-fan 120MM radiator, i should be able to murder heat with that radiator... I really could care less for sound, due to the fact that my nephew screams all day if he doesn't get what he wants and my brother and sister are always fighting with my parents... and simply the fact that i use a headset when i play games :) Peace of Mind....

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds