Windows Security Update CD (Free)

Discussion in 'Software' started by NICK ADSL UK, Feb 18, 2004.

1. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK MajorGeeks Forum Administrator Staff Member

Windows Security Update CD (Free)

"This CD includes Microsoft critical updates released through October 2003 and information to help you protect your PC. In addition, you will also receive free antivirus and firewall trial software.

This CD is only available for Windows XP, Windows Me, Windows 2000, Windows 98, and Windows 98 Second Edition (SE)."

http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/cd/order.asp

(Also includes SP4 for Windows 2000 / SP1 for Windows XP)
    For people in the uk this is the link to order from
    http://www.microsoft.com/uk/security/protect/update.mspx
    Please note that you can get the xp cd at http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windowsxp/servicepacks/sp1.mspx without the need for .net passport.

Regards :)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2004
    1 person likes this.
  2. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

Thanks for the heads up Nick :)

3. Freddy

Freddy Sergeant

Many Thanks. This is just the thing I need to get off my but and make the move to XP. Never looked forward to the many hours of downloading after the initial install.

4. Wisewiz

Wisewiz Apprentice's Sorcerer

This is different from the Critical Updates rollup package that MIcrosoft first posted two months ago in three ways:

SP1 is included in the CD

You don't have to download the humongous file (no big deal on cable, but dial-up :-( )

This has the full e-Trust firewall and anti-virus package on it. That's free for one year, then US$40 or so every year if you keep it.

My guess without having seen the CD yet (but I've ordered it) is that you can't use the patches unless you give the CD permission to install the software first: we'll see. They've had a very poor response to the security package offer (probably because of Microsoft's reputation for excellence in the security area), and they could be using this free offer to push the security package.

5. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Ordered! thanks!

6. Wisewiz

Wisewiz Apprentice's Sorcerer

The previously posted
    UPDATES ROLLUP package (10 MB) required SP1 (already installed). The post-SP1 files for XP are the same in this CD collection and the rollup package: everything up to the end of October 2003, but the rollup package is advertised by Microsoft as "for XP," and the CD is advertised as for Win 98 onward.

Thanks again for the heads-up service, Nick!

7. g1lgam3sh

g1lgam3sh MajorGeek

Thanks Nick, that's great:)

8. ArchAngel

ArchAngel Sergeant

I got tired of having to redownload the updates, so I made my own CD. Has SP1 and many other updates. I simply copied them from the WUTemp folder after they downloaded but before they installed. Now I don't have to redownload everything whenever I reinstall. Sucks when you only have dial up.

9. SixShooter

SixShooter Major Malfunction

Gracias...:)

I like anything that I'll don't have to wrestle with dialup to download.

10. aLLiKZar

aLLiKZar It's not too late to back out!

I was suprised it was free.

11. harry

harry Private "Bad" Joker

Thanks Nick!

12. Greyhound

Greyhound Sergeant

Cool Nick, you are the man!

13. General_Lee_Stoned

General_Lee_Stoned BuZZed Lightyear

thanxs Nick

just ordered mine :D

14. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

And now microsoft has 100000 more names and addresses added to its database :)

I've ordered mine now, just so i can use it rather than having to update peoples machiens manually, that will give me a headstart

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds