What do you all think of Linux?

Discussion in 'Software' started by ronstoppable, Jul 6, 2004.

1. ronstoppable

ronstoppable Private E-2

What do you think? Can I install it to work with my 1st nfts partitioned drive? Id write it on a 2nd hd but still want to use the other with it. Im lost sorta. Whats the difference in linux and xp besides the "cool crap" xp offers with the fading windows and stuff. I know I should do more searches on it but hey, some of you use it or have used it first hand.

2. DanTekGeek

DanTekGeek Master Sergeant

linux is great. its harder than windows. but vastly satisfying. ill now hand you over to robster.

3. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Good for servers.. not ready for primetime desktop

Tried SuSE myself.

I know this isn't linux but I tried FreeBSD too.
    Lots of work to be done if they want to capture the casual user.

4. Robster12

Robster12 The Horse Whisperer

Hello ronstoppable!
    Welcome to MajorGeeks!

Hehe, I guess that people know that I'm a sucker for the Linux stuff. I'm in love with it.
    I am just a regular guy who is trying HARD to learn it. Believe you me, I am
    Reading the Freaking Manual, man. I am Studying the Freaking Manual. But, it still challenges me. Maybe I'm slow.

But, I wouldn't take it for the world. There's a lot to it, it seems. So much that one can do with this stuff. If you have an interest in it, I have some links that may be helpful.

I'll never forget the day that Phillip posted, and told me about the Knoppix. Glorious day that was....
    Knoppix, what is that? Well, you can run it from the cd! Ha! It won't touch your harddrive! Crazy!

This stuff is so cool that its a wonder its legal. Better than drugs, I tell ya!
    Link:

http://www.edmunds-enterprises.com/linux/cart.php/ba/pdtl/product/263

There is also another distribution that may be very good to start with...

ttp://www.edmunds-enterprises.com/linux/cart.php/ba/pdtl/product/269

I know very little, but if I can be of help, please feel free to PM me.

Regards,

Robert

5. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

Linux is certainly not as buggy or insecure as Windows. However Linux isn't for regular Wintel users, you really should know the Shell commands and be comfortable in terminal windows to really take advantage of using Linux. Even the smallest of tasks in Linux can require configuring that sometimes require a shell command.

If you want another OS that really works and won't cause you headaches, here is a motto I live by....

"The box said Windows 95 or better, so I bought a Macintosh."

6. Robster12

Yes. It seems to me from what I have heard and read that the Linux OS has the attitude that "the operator knows more than the operating system". So, it is much more configurable. But, you gotta know what you're doing.

Nowadays, learning resources are plentiful. Many websites are up about the Linux, and many books have been written. It is inherently more secure. If there is a bug (ALL software has bugs), then some hacker can fix it that night. You don't have to wait for some company to fix it when they "get around to it".

I don't know how many websites are served up by Apache, say, but many are.
    This web site is. When you download a file from MajorGeeks, take a look at the log:

I truly believe that if Microsoft doesn't stop Open Source with the court system somehow, that they are doomed to be out of the market, more or less. I would say in 5 years. I'm just a regular guy, though, but I don't see how they (Microsoft) can compete with such a rich development team that the Open Source Community fields.

Oh, and the Apple OS- X.....

Its based on UNIX! :) :p ;) :cool: :)

One thing, if you start tweaking with this, you'll never be bored...

Attached Files:

7. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Microsoft and companies of its kind will never go "out of business" per say. Their business model may change though. There will always be software programmers to build applications for this reason. New business models mean new business logic and thus new software needs. I do think their licensing model will be completely destroyed very soon though. They (MS) will have to truly redefine how they will make their money on the sale of their software on every level. Their current model needs alot of work as it's drastically out of sync with their road-map as far as development is concerned.

The problem I think people have is that they think software should be free. Pardon my being blunt but if you think software should be free then you deserve a hammer to the head. If someone decides to make their software free.. great! Bonus for the user. However, there are many people who want to develop software for a living. If the motivation of "means of support" is removed from the software development world, then you will not have as many programmers in the arena. Which will eventually lead to a scenario where you have to have inhouse programmers or contractors to develop custom work.
    The argument that the software may be available for free is only partially factual. The problem remains that the business logic may not be the same and thus custom programming may be requied anyway.

Then you have another problem of Trust. Since the methodology of software development would be mostly Open Source development, guess what gets targeted for destruction.. You guessed it.. the source control data stores. "hackers/crackers" would be reduced to focusing on high profile targets and the wheel comes full circle..

8. g1lgam3sh

g1lgam3sh MajorGeek

I use Mandrake 10 and Suse 9.1 Pro, love them both. On the other hand I also use Win2K and am going to buy a copy of Win XP Pro and give that a go.

It's horses for courses really, being a bit of a geek I just like to mess;) :cool: :D

9. CaNoFzOo

CaNoFzOo Sergeant Major

So would you guys say Linux is more secure than Windows?

10. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

That's a can of worms for sure..

Last edited: Jul 7, 2004
  11. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

I tried it for running a server, but with the time restrictions I had it was easier just to go and get a copy of 2003 server and set that up, rather than spending hours at a time (litterally hours, i spent about 8 on just trying to set the firewall settings) editing random text files and crap... and it still not working.

Yeah, maybe i should have read the manual, but I like to use my initutive to solve problems rather than relying on someone else writing about the exact problem that I'm having.

True, linux is more configurable and probably more flexible than windows in a business applicaton, but as far as I'm concerned I cant be bothered!

12. Robster12

I look up to goldfish, and you guys don't know what this means to see him post this. Sometimes I think that I am such a DUMB----@$$!!!!! when I can't get this stuff to work. Oh, dependencie hell. I have seen it. The frustration.

If goldfish finds it trying, then I can figure that I not just some lackie.

Yeah, I don't know what it is about this, but I tell you, its something.

Sometimes I feel like I'll have to darn near be a computer programmer (in C, and maybe C++,too), just to understand what's going on with this stuff.

haha.
    Its a battle!
    Haha.
    Sometimes I feel like Charlton Heston, except that instead of holding up a rifle, I feel like I'm holding up my rig over my head and yelling:

"They'll take my Linux when they pry it from my cold, dead hands!!!"

Hahahahahaha!!!!!!!
    :) :) :) :) :)

Oh, its so funny, too.
    Sometimes the simplest tasks seem so darn hard....
    Hahahahaha!!!

But what can you do? Once you got the bug, the intrique sets in, the challenge....
    You are hoplessly caught up, like a moth to a flame.

Like the newbie user logging into MajorGeeks for adventure!!! :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p ;) ;) ;) ;) :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds