Browser problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by shepherd66, Aug 25, 2005.

1. shepherd66

shepherd66 Private E-2

I am having problems with IE and Firefox. I can not get any pages to show, I can only get "This page can not be displayed" in IE and a blank(can't find page) in Firefox.

After a household member tried downloading some "screensavers" and cancelled the registation, the problems began. I ran my antivirus and found a NEWDOTNET virus ad deleted it. The ran ADAWARE and foundsome NEWDOTNET spyware and deleted it.

Now, no pages will show up, no programs can update, etc. . I am on a wired home network. I can access my other computer through Network Neighborhood and vice versa. The other computer has know problems with pages. I am on cable internet access through a router. This is on a Win98SE machine. The kicker is, I am on this same machine posting this thread using KNOPPIX Linux with Firefox with no problems. I have checked and rechecked every setting I can think of, cleaned Newdotnet from the registry, and even reinstalled Windows over the top of it's self with no luck.

I am not a new person to this kind of thing, having worked on many systems, and built and rebuilt this one twice. I am eather looking to hard or it is beyond me.

System is:
    Win98SE, all updates
    AMD Duron 850
    384 MB DDR
    80 GB HD
    Cable internet 3.0 Mbs
    Linksys Wrt54g router

Thanks for you help
    Shepherd66

2. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

3. shepherd66

shepherd66 Private E-2

Backup, reformat, reinstall............

and reinstall........
    and reinstall...............................

works every time.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds